Question regarding Painkiller, Fable, and my computer.

Discussion in 'Software' started by GuitarRon89, Apr 2, 2009.

1. GuitarRon89

GuitarRon89 Private E-2

Alright, so I've had problems with my computer and video games made after 2003 before. Most recently, I purchased Fable and Painkiller for my laptop (yes, I know games and laptops don't mix most of the time, I thought this time might be different since both games came out before Vista (to my knowledge)). I'm fully aware that the answers may consist of 'buy a new computer', which will make me twitch with annoyance, but I've become accustomed to it.

The problems go as follows.

First, Painkiller. I bought this game because I've heard nothing but good things about it. I picked up the Triple Dose special edition with the Battle Out of Hell expansion, and Painkiller: Overdose. The programs installed fairly smoothly, no real problems that I can recall, and when I tried playing the game, I saw this.

[link]

I thought, "Okay, maybe I just need to reinstall it," because I already have the latest version of DirectX (to my knowledge). So I reinstalled the game and got the same message. It's been picking at me ever since I picked it up, and wondered if maybe I need to update my drivers, but I've searched around and seen that it might also be something about my chipset not being compatible with the game (again, wouldn't be the first time, my chipset isn't compatible with much outside of STARCRAFT).

Then there's Fable. I installed it, it ran properly for about 20 minutes, but once I finished the first mission, the game froze... in a way. It would take approximately two minutes for the character to move at all, and then, it was so choppy that it makes driving on the Rocky Mountains seem incredibly smooth.

The strange thing (or maybe not-so-strange) was that the music kept playing fine afterwords. I could alt+tab out of it, but that was incredibly hindered as well. In fact, everything I did after I finished the first mission was slower than molasses in winter.

The video settings were all on next-to-minimum, so the graphics weren't that great, but it ran at least kind of smoothly.

I've tried the game since stopping it manually (the power button, probably not the best solution, but it seemed to be the only one outside of making a sandwich, eating it, and waiting for it to digest), and it was just as slow, if not slower.

I'm convinced that my machine is just not meant to play video games, but I decided to come here for a second opinion. I apologize ahead of time if this question has been answered before, I looked through the search thing and it didn't seem like my question was posted in any of them, so... here's this.

If you need specifications on the machine, it's a Toshiba Satellite A135. The main driver is igdumd32.dll, and it's version 7.14.0010.1504 (last updated on 6/18/08). The 'DDI Version' is 9Ex. WHQL Logo'd is 'Yes'. The chip type is Intel GMA 950, and the name is Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family.

I am currently running on Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, build 6001), 32-bit. Direct X is at 10.

I don't know that any of this will help, but if it doesn't, I'll gladly provide more information. Thank you ahead of time.

EDIT: Oh, and if you know where I can find driver updates, I would be most grateful.

2. GuitarRon89

GuitarRon89 Private E-2

I know bumping can be annoying, but I'd really like some kind of answer to my questions if it's possible.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds