COMPLETE! REMOVAL Of McAfee Antivirus Plus

Discussion in 'Software' started by parrotmania, Oct 28, 2012.

1. parrotmania

parrotmania Private E-2

Hoping to find someone that has excellent removal tutorial or link to an excellent tutorial. In that, ALL remnants are removed of McAfee Antivirus Plus.

The Unwanted McAfee Antivirus Plus came on my new laptop: Lenovo Ideapad Y570, i7 2670QM, 6G RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium.

McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 6.0.152.0 states, "If your McAfee products were preinstalled by the manufacturer of your computer, ensure that you activate your McAfee subscription before uninstalling. Reinstalling from a CD or download only installs your McAfee consumer applications, but might not recover your paid subscription term information".

I am not sure why they require you to activate it before removing it. Sounds suspicious to me.

Nonetheless, I was hoping someone knew how to get rid of all of it. Thanks!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

My newest computer and netbook came with similar trialware/crapware.

To remove I grab removal tools from McAfee or Norton (both are notorious for being foisted on new owners) but I do not activate anything nor do I use those tools first.

I use Revo Uninstaller http://majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html
    then I reboot and use the removal tool from the software company. Usually I get a message that the tool can't find anything, which simply tells me Revo has done its job.

If a security program has been installed, then I use AppRemover instead of Revo to uninstall it. http://majorgeeks.com/AppRemover_d6090.html

If you did accidentally activate it, use AppRemover followed by the McAfee tool.

3. parrotmania

parrotmania Private E-2

Thanks, but have some more clarifications. Jeez, what a pain! It shouldn't be this ridiculously complex and difficult.

I just called Intel, as I had gone to McAfee's site for their instructions to remove. What held me up is this, "NOTE: MCPR is not compatible with McAfee Anti-Theft (MAT) 2.0 and Intel Anti-Theft Service (IATS) 2.0. You must unsubcribe your Anti-Theft service before you run MCPR".

I do not know if I have the Anti-Theft Service or not. I typed "Intel" in Search and nothing comes up IATS or MAT. In Programs there is other Intel software, but not IATS nor MAT. However, perhaps it is under a different file name?

Of course the first level service Intel guy was from India and that wasn't very helpful in identifying whether I have Anti-Theft Service or not.

So, Intel owns McAfee now: IntelĀ® Anti-Theft Service Telephone support for the IntelĀ® Anti-Theft Service Powered by McAfee. What a PIA!

I have not taken steps to activate nor remove anything yet, as I want to do it right the first time. For now I need to identify, for sure, whether I have the Anti-Theft on my machine or not?

These computer companies are so vile with their stupid ploys and trying to enmesh you with their crappy software.

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

5. parrotmania

parrotmania Private E-2

I just used Revo Uninstaller - Advanced option, restarted my laptop, then ran the MCPR - McAfee Removal Tool, then restarted, then installed MSE.

I checked my registry for leftover files. I typed in "mcafee" in regedit search and there are more than a few McAfee files leftover, even after Revo advanced option and McAfee's removal tool. So there are leftover files, hence my concerns.

McAfee and MSE came preinstalled AND McAfee disables MSE Antivirus. So when I uninstalled McAfee, MSE was gone as well.

I just installed MSE and a window appeared, saying that I need to remove current antivirus software. I had done so, so am wondering why this message comes up. Is that normal when installing MSE, even if you have no antivirus previously? Or did I get that message because MSE detects leftover McAfee files???

Also, after I installed MSE it gave me the option to get help and on that page, it stated the following: Step 2: Completely uninstall Windows Live OneCare to uninstall Windows Live OneCare.

Why would I need to uninstall this to install MSE?

MSE is up and running now. But I am wondering if there are any conflicts from leftover McAfee (there are files still in the registry), since laptop came with MSE disabled via McAfee??? Am hoping that MSE isn't hindered in any way from leftover McAfee disabling MSE.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you tried AppRemover? It is pretty good at finding remnants of any av programs installed. You can pick what you want removed from all the things it finds.

7. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , my opinion is that , you have to completely uninstall both of them , manually removal is one way , for instance you can navigate to

C:\Program Files

eliminating the leftovers of antivirus ( both of them i mean ) , if you have problem with some files which denied to remove then you could use this utility

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Unlocker_d4660.html

uninstalling the problematic folders then you must download MSE having a clear installation , take a look here :wave

http://www.removetips.com/method-to-uninstall-mcafee-antivirus-plus-2012-completely/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds