Backup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrjasonball, Aug 22, 2014.

1. mrjasonball

mrjasonball Private E-2

Hi, I'm needing some basic help regarding backing up my data. I have 2 1.5tb internal hard drives and am trying to back them up onto 3 x 1tb external hard drives. However I am finding it impossible to manage manually. I'm sure there is a simple way of doing this but I cant find it!

I have tried created a spanned volume but when the wizard finishes it comes up with "The operation is not supported by the object". Same thing happens when I try and create a stripped volume. I'm obviously missing something.

Maybe there is some software out there that could simply copy 2 drives into 3 smaller drives?

I am running windows 7.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I use a program called AOMEI Backupper. Using high compression, smart sector copy and VSS you may be able to image both of your 1.5 TB drives to 1 - 1TB drive. I always get an image that's less than 50% of the original drive's size. Plus, AOMEI allows incremental and/or differential backups. If you create a WinPE bootable CD, you can back up individual files and folders when running AOMEI from the CD (that feature isn't yet available in the installer version).

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Windows 7 can do it but you could also consider your file structuring.

If you make a System Image of the two HDD you could then "restore" them to the other 3 HDD if your create a RAID.

For the 3 HDD you could create a RAID for all 3 and then restore the above image to the 3 HDDs.

The keywords are in there and win 7 has all the tools.

4. mrjasonball

mrjasonball Private E-2

Many thanks for your help mdonah and bold eagle. Its very much appreciated. I am going to try Bold Eagles idea and if it doesnt work I will try mdonahs idea. Cheers.

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

@Bold Eagle,

Can you create a RAID Array with USB connected drives (which is what mrjasonball has)?

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

My apologies - I didn't read the external HDDs - not sure if you could create a RAID.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds