Avira keeps crashing on FF

Discussion in 'Software' started by ONEEYEMAN, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ONEEYEMAN

ONEEYEMAN Corporal

Hi, ALL,
    I'm using FF as my default browser and I have Avira as my antivirus.
    Recently Avira got updated and I was stupid enough to turn on the internal Avira protection on FF.
    Now, when I start FF, I see a little green window on top of the page and if I click on it, it becomes fully visible.

So everything is good, but...
    Every time I'm opening the page (which by itself takes a lot of time), I see a following warning:

The message could've probably be OK, but along with the message the current FF tab changes to another one.

So, it's not just dismissing the dialog with "Continue" as it comes from Avira, but also changing the tab back to the one I was - which by that time already becomes loaded/updated.

All this makes FF completely unusable.

Now in FF I have 2 plug-ins installed: NoScript and AdBlock.
    So maybe it is a conflict between NoScript and Avira?

Or maybe I got hijacked and its not Avira at all?

Thank you for any hints with fighting the issue.

I'm going to try and attach a screenshot so that you better understand of what I'm talking about. The green window is right under the "Address Bar" and it is visible only the bottom of it. When you click it, it slides down. And there is the message I would like to get rid of.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Fx hates Javascripts with a vengeance, so I don't think you are hijacked at all, its more over security, if we could have such a thing!

Off hand and not using either app, I would uninstall both and run CCleaner and its registry app to remove any registry entries associated with both apps, then reboot and re-install both but without the Fx add-on in Avira this time and see how you get on.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

NoScript is far superior than Avira ever will be for this specific purpose (that is script management on webpages).

A solution has been noted here (about the 10th post down):

https://answers.avira.com/en/questi...sourcefirefoxabsaviracomjsbunchesappjs2-12383

"Temporarily disable the Java(tm) plug-in and the associated add-ons in your IE, extensions Firefox and Google Chrome. Test these settings and see if you're able to resume the Scottrade platform.
    Please post a reply. Explanation to follow."

Personally I have disabled Java in my browsers and run NoScript, by adding Avira to that it has stopped a script in it's tracks but are you able to add specific scripts to your whitelist in Avira (as you can with NoScript)?

Uninstall the Avira protection in FF as NoScript is the "best you will get" if you also disable JAVA in your browsers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds