Windows 10 a.k.a "Snoopy"

Discussion in 'Software' started by BAMaustin, Aug 17, 2015.

1. BAMaustin

BAMaustin Private E-2

I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night and keeping finding additional default settings that report info about my computer use to Microsoft, apps, & other companies.

The most obvious were spotted using the Custom rather than recommended default options on the initial install and then trawling through the Privacy control panel.

I'll admit to being an anomaly by being not "borderline" but "online" antisocial. Its easy enough to not be a twit who tweets or pleads "look at me!" on Facebook. Obviously, I do not want my apps to be able to switch on the Camera & Microphone, or report my location (or browsing history) to show me 'relevant' content. Heck, if my friends want to find where I am, they can actually talk to me and ask if I want a bit of company.

But reducing one's passively broadcast footprint is getting more tricky & convoluted.

Naturally the crunchers of Big Data are hungry for new grist for their mills. They have so many new, kewl ideas for neat stuff that are data driven. But I prefer to not have my life ground up and sprinkled amongst their statistical charts.

The tricky part is that I do not have enough experience with Windows 10 to fully grasp the interactions when I restrict the defaults. For instance, I suspect some software will fail catastrophically or silently (rather than pop up a warning) when my privacy settings preclude the success of an explicitly requested action.

On the flip side, when I actually DO want to temporarily allow information to be collected & sent, it may require momentarily enabling several options... but perhaps that will also unleash a torrent of notifications penned up in dozens of backlogged outboxes.

Has anyone seen a wiki checklist of Windows 10 privacy settings; or, a tool that globally sets to the best "Shelter my privacy" options?

They misnamed Windows 10... it REALLY should be nicknamed "Snoopy".

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  3. BAMaustin

BAMaustin Private E-2

Thanks Eldon!

After surveying those links, it looks like I've got some miles of hard trails ahead if I actually want some pretense of a fence for that data.

You've given me a good start but I s'pose I'd best get to it.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. Eldon

6. BAMaustin

BAMaustin Private E-2

7. BAMaustin

BAMaustin Private E-2

An additional question...
    is there any indication of features that need a live internet connection to keep Win 10 alive?

I struggled with one Medical practice mgt software suite where the client software had to touch the manufacturer's servers every 30 days to keep the license valid. (Even though the 25 seat + 1 local server license was a one time charge for each release and all the functions occurred on that local server, not the manufacturer's servers.) This made me worry that My company would be offline if the manufacturer went belly up or the net was down at a critical time.

When the big one hits the West Coast, will the rest of us be SOL sometime later?

8. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

9. Eldon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds