Lenovos and Win 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Lenovo owners thinking of upgrading to Win 10, or who have already upgraded but who may be experiencing issues, can check whether their system is being supported for 10 or not.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535

The Win 10 upgrade system clearly isn't aware of whether your system is supported or not, as this unsupported Thinkpad Edge 335 system has been offered the upgrade on both Win 7 and Win 8.1 systems and I've tried upgrading both. Most things do work but I'm finding enough that do not to think it's probably time to give up, and with no new drivers available things can only get worse.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, mine isn't listed, which I found out about last week from Adry. I don't get why they would do that.

Mine apparently has hardware components not fully compatible...which is bs since I would imagine all they'd have to do is update the driver.

3. Earthling

Apart from being a bit slow I didn't see any real issues when upgrading from 8.1 but the upgrade from 7 does have one or two problems. As 8.1 was great on this machine I had better revert to that before the 30 days is up.

4. LauraR

sigh....maybe I'll go back as well and see the differences.

Can you go back to 10 again after reverting back to 8.1 if you change your mind?

5. Earthling

I'll have to roll back initially to 7 and then restore 8.1 from an image. If the icon reappears then yes. I'll let you know.

6. Earthling

Wow, roll back only took 5 minutes and the icon has reappeared.

7. LauraR

Yep. I did it this morning. I ended up having to reinstall my AV. Plus, I noticed a weird thing with updates that freaked me out at first....When I ran my Windows updates to install the most recent 8.1 ones that I had missed, the updater said 'Installing Windows 10. Please wait". I kept stopping it, but finally ended up letting it run. Turns out it was the updates installing. rolleyes

Btw, I'll most likely stay with 8.1 with this laptop, unfortunately. I didn't realize how laggy it was running 10. :( I blame that on Lenovo though, not MS, since they are the ones choosing not to update drivers.

8. Earthling

I think we may have an ongoing problem with WU attempting to install 10. I've changed my WU setting from Automatic to notify only and hidden the 10 update. When I run WU manually it initially only shows 10 in available updates but you can click on 'Show all updates' at the bottom.

9. LauraR

I hid mine too. Mine shows all updates but when I install them it tells me I'm installing Windows 10....which it turns out I'm not.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds