Remote Desktop Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by mbmadiw, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

For about a year, we've been using Remote Desktop on two different computers here to connect to a computer across town. Just recently, if you hit the period key on the number pad to the right, or the delete key, it kicks you out to the attached screen. Since we're using it for accounting purposes where those keys are needed quite often, it's REALLY annoying. :banghead

This happens within the Remote Desktop session, not on the user's end. It happens to both users that use the same remote computer. The user can be in any application, or have nothing open and just be at the Desktop. To clarify, this does not happen to the users in their own systems outside of Remote Desktop.

Remote System Win XP Pro
    User System #1 Win XP Home
    User System #2 Win XP Pro

If anyone has any ideas, we'd really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Not a fix, but a possible workaround:

Have you tried playing with the 'Apply Windows key combination' options?

[​IMG]

Sounds to me like the three-finger salute (CTRL + ALT + DELETE) is being given accidentally.

Is it possible the remote computer's keys are sticking?

3. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

I'm going to try your suggestion. Thank you very, very much for your time and three finger salute joke. We'll look into the remote computer's keys sticking too. :wave

4. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

The problem is resolved whenever I switch it to On the local or remote computer choices! We really appreciate the suggestion. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    :wave

5. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

Sorry to bother you again, but now a new problem has developed since making the change:

• We can log on and everything works fine.
      We log off, walk over to the second computer, and it can't connect.
      Wait 5-10 minutes, and then the second computer will connect.
      Log off, walk over to the first computer and now it won't connect.
      Wait 5-10 minutes, and then the first computer will connect again, but the second won't again.

It seems there is now some sort of delay in releasing the program to allow connection, maybe?

I have returned to the original setting of "In full screen mode only", but that didn't correct this problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  6. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

Also, I'm attaching the error. Hopefully, that helps a little!

Attached Files:

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Can you tell me about the remote computer? Is it an ACTUAL terminal server? (ie Win2K3 w/ Terminal services installed)

Or is it just an XP/2K3 box that only one user can RDC into at a time?

8. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

XP Pro-regular old PC
    Only one user at a time, as far as I know
    Our profile is extremely limited, as far as what we can change. It's so locked down that we can't even turn it off using the Start Menu (although we found a way around that).

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

And the users log off via Start --> Log Off?

10. mbmadiw

mbmadiw Corporal

Yes :)

Regardless of whether the user logs off or chooses Disconnect, the other computer cannot even get to the login screen for about 10 or so minutes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds