NASA says 'We are in total Control' of UARS video

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by augiedoggie, Sep 20, 2011.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

2. augiedoggie

3. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Chris told me it's coming down between 11:00pm and 4:00 or 5:00 am tonight/tomorrow morning, and the likely land masses where people might want to put on a hardhat are northern Australia or Canada, which he says are insignificant anyway :-D

He also says there's some fuel on board, but NASA would get no publicity if they just guided it down into the deepest part of the Pacific. :-D

Some of you might remember Skylab coming down and all the parties that were held in its honor.

All kidding aside, hopefully whatever pieces make it through entry don't cause any calamity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAr2HkQr1YM

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

LOL I love the old school SNL!

As far as the killer satellite goes . . . since the total accumulation of meteoroids by the earth is about 60 tons per day, and of those that reach the surface a good few are big enough to kill someone; the fact the streets aren't littered with victims of things falling from space leads me to think the odds are pretty good we are gonna be ok ;)

5. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Which is where it ended up going a little before 1:00 this morning. He's too smart for his own good :-D

6. augiedoggie

You rocket scientists are pretty good.;) I also just found out that the tech for controlled re-entry was only available after the build of UARS. Seems that it may have been spotted in San Antonio. With all the tracking radars available in the US, I can't believe NASA knows nothing of its whereabouts, at least in general. Interesting video but hard to interpret as things seem to be falling straight down but that wouldn't make sense. The pox on their ads! Grrr!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/09/24/nr-satellite-crash-wolf-holmes.cnn?hpt=hp_t1

7. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Just watched the video from CNN. Never ceases to amaze me how ignorant the media is when it comes to things like this. Other than the name of the satellite practically nothing they said is accurate-"it could be parts of the satellite or it could be pixie dust"-morons. Like Chris said, if it comes down and womps you on the head then you have a legitimate gripe, if not get on with your day.

8. augiedoggie

Ya, I agree with the 'moron' part!:-D I guess he was in CYA mode.rolleyes

9. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Trust me, he's the last person you'd ever have to worry about putting himself in a position to have to cover his... you know :-D

10. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

LOL

Just watched the CNN video . . . not so much the talking head's fault, but the fault of whoever put his spiel on the prompter. I think they need some new "data fetchers."

For the record, Pixie dust hasn't been seen burning in the atmosphere since Tinkerbell's little "incident" . . . I'm surprised they referenced it. Too soon, people. Too soon.

:p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds