Can't get windows 7 SP1 on my notebook

Discussion in 'Software' started by beezneez, Oct 9, 2014.

1. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Hi,
    I have an Windows 7 64 bit Acer Aspire 3820T notebook which I bought in USA and bought home to Australia a few years ago. It has not been used much but now I need to update it and get IE 11 but in order to do so I need to install SP1. The last time I tried to update I got some information that something on the motherboard, (I think it was graphics) was not compatible so that was that. I tried to update the drivers but had no luck. Acer website directs me to a third party driver supplier and I paid for that but no drivers showed up. Because the comp was very slow and messed up I decided to do a clean reinstall o the OS from the inbuilt partition and that worked okay but no further advanced with the SP1.
    No matter what I try I cannot find the original message from Microsoft so I don't know where to go next. I can use Firefox etc but believe it or not I really am used to IE and don't want to use anything else.
    Any ideas from forum members?
    thanks.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Are you using Windows Update?
    NEVER pay for drivers. I have some real concerns that you did this as to how you're going about things as none of the problems you mention should be an issue on the Windows Update site.

Anyway, go to Windows Update and copy any error messages. We can dig further once we have that.

3. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

hi<
    I have been battling with this for weeks, Windows Updates won't do it, Microsoft has a list of scenarios why I can't get the Update and I have tried all their suggestions. Probably the only relevant cause is Intel integrated graphics drive Igdkmd64.sys, version 8.15.10.2104. Sadly I have this and Microsoft and Intel's advice is to go to Acer and get a possible update. Acer offer no updates of their own, when I try to look for updates they directed me to Driver Tuner. I have been all over the net looking for help by myself rather than bother others but now I am at the point where it is just about, bye bye Acer. Very very annoying!
    By the way I have done a clean reinstall of OS and afterwards got about 70 updates but none of them were SP1. :confused

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I take it the Acer has a serial number on the bottom that allows you to install Windows 7.
    You can download an ISO complete with SP1 already and cleanly install it using the key on the bottom of the laptop. (I had the same problem - could not get SP1 to install. I downloaded the ISO and installed it using the key I had and it works fine).

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

6. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Hi,
    Just a quick update for anyone having the same problem, unfortunately there is no update for the driver on my laptop. I tried Driver Booster, Intel and Acer but no joy. I have decided to just forget the SP1, if I uninstall OS and try to download and install Win 7 with SP1 from Digital River the same conditions which prevent updating would still be present. My husband is just going to use the laptop to edit and play with his thousands of photos so I will turn off internet.
    Frankly, I am over it!!

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Make sure you chose the correct version.

If you have a c:\program files (x86), then you are on a x64 version.

Attached Files:

9. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Trust me, I have tried many ways to get this download to install. The problem lies with the motherboard graphics driver igdkmd.64.sys and versions from 8.15.10.2104 to 8.15.10.2141. This info comes from Microsoft and nothing I can do helps. Just have to live with it I guess.

10. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Third party sites are the BEST places to find malware.

Have you scanned for rootkits?

11. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Yes, everything that can be done has been done. rootkits, malware, spyware PUPs, virus scans. all good. Just a software problem. Why do manufacturers have to make it so hard. Never will I buy another Acer. My old eight year old Dell is still as good as new (or would be if my son would stop loading torrents and getting viruses). It would be okay if he would fix it himself but brings it
    home for Mum to do.:cry Many wasted hours there.

12. plodr

Are you sure?
    I have an eMachine desktop (same company as Acer and Gateway) that would not install SP1.
    I tried everything too. Including running MS's system readiness tool. I forget everything I tried over the course of about 5 days.

I did not uninstall what I had, I simply took the ISO with SP1 and went for an install. I've been running 7 with SP1 on this desktop since April of 2013.

13. plodr

14. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Thank thank you Plodr, you are the man (or woman). Finally got SP!. Funnily enough instead of an update of the graphics I was able to install a driver version older than the problem one. Naturally enough(or so I think) I was looking for an update and there isn't one. I was able to access the site you provided and it worked for me. I did another complete reinstall of OS and then the driver download and although it took hours it is all good now.
    What did I do with all my time before the computer age?:)

15. plodr

I love it when something works!
    Yup, I'm a woman - senior citizen, in fact, and my husband says that all my time spent on searching for solutions to computers problems will stop me from getting Alzheimer's. I hope he is correct!

16. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

:-D Snap!. Same here. Coming up for 70 in January and I am hoping to keep all my marbles for the duration. Between my computers and playing online Bridge it keeps my brain cells working. So far, so good. I do all the heavy lifting around here for all my friends and family's computers and I just can't stand being beaten by the pesky little bits and bytes. This latest problem was the worst one to fix but really the solution was simple, just going backwards instead of forwards!. Now I know the fix I am going to treat the little devil to a SSD to speed her up a bit.
    My greatest annoyance is with Apple, their Gurus have never heard of the maxim "If it's not broken don't fix it". Continual tweaking of iTunes is infuriating. Unfortunately we have some iPads so have to deal with them.
    Once again thank you and keep up all the good work you do on this wonderful forum.

17. plodr

I'd love to do that for my husband's Acer AO 722 but I don't have the guts to disassemble his netbook. More power to you for tackling that.

18. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

I went to my other source of information, namely YouTube and found out what to do. I looked it up just now and there is a video on how to disassemble your AO722. Youtube is a wonder of our age, no matter what I have looked up there has been someone who has posted a video on the subject.

19. plodr

Oh, I know it is doable. I'm just not going to do it. :-D
    I am going to replace his 2GB stick of RAM with a 4GB stick to give his netbook more pep.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds