Hi.... random blue screen problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pablo2312, Aug 7, 2008.

1. pablo2312

pablo2312 Private E-2

Hi,
    glad to be a part of your forum. I have a bit of a problem, my laptop is misbehaving!
    So i have an ibm T30....... its a bit old but it usually works fine. Now i have upgraded ram (1024mb) and HDD (80Gb) and i am running an ibm pcmcia usb 2 card..... the rest of it in normal spec.
    Right so i reinstalled XP pro a few weeks ago, everything was going well until a few days ago i started getting random blue screens (ie the error is always different) and other odd things happening such as the mouse freezing, spontanious shoutdowns, failier to reboot (powers on but just a black screen and beeping).
    I have replaced the ram and it got better for 24hrs but is back to being unreliable (this post has taken several attempts cos it keeps shutting down!!), It is better if i take the battery and ram out and leave it for a while before rebooting.

I have saved some of the minidumps i would be very gratefull if somone could have a go at determining the problem.

Many thanks
    Paul

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you checked the motherboard compatability for the ram - if its old it might need a specific ram - Also ram can be damaged by static, if you were not really careful when handling.
    It would help if you post the error codes, note them down if different, prior to posting.
    The beeps can tell us more- how many , what sequence (like morse code , 1 bep, -1-3-1 bep, etc:
    The ibm laptop name, motherboard.
    We can then try to help you solve it better.

3. pablo2312

pablo2312 Private E-2

Will note down as much info as i can next time it goes belly up........ the blue screen codes may be a bit tricky as some of them only appear for a few second.
    Will keep you posted

The new (2nd hand RAM) should be fine it worked in another T30 which i have canibalised for spares, and the old ram was ok i think as the same problem exists. All anti-static precautions have been taken.

Thanks
    :)

Latest blue screen: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER (not seen that one before!)
    Failed to reboot: beep = 1,1,1,1,etc

Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-FBG

Operating system: Windows XP

Original description: P4-M 2.2GHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 14.1 XGA(1024x768) TFT LCD, 24x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM, 802.11b wireless/Modem(MPCI), Ethernet(LOM), UltraNav, Secure Chip(TCPA), Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro

Motherboard number: J1S4E35D1XV

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  4. pablo2312

pablo2312 Private E-2

This is the latest set of minidumps:

Cheers

Attached Files:

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I always like to have a copy of the manufacturers guides, and driver downloads- so these may be worth you keeping, for future use.

Drivers, AND DOWNLOADS

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-42358

troubleshooting, and guide
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-42265
    Look in this download, and save a copy.
    Page 23 could be useful, but as I said earlier , I would look at the memory, see page 15, in the downloaded pdf booklet.

6. pablo2312

pablo2312 Private E-2

Thanks for the help but i think this time it has popped its little polyester socks...... poor old girl blued out, then wouldnt turn on just gave beeps (1,1,1,1- 1,1,1,1 -etc) now it wont even turn on............ took it down the road to a pc repair shop ... total cop out i know :-(

So i am now looking for a new laptop. Does anyone have any thoughts on the ibm t41 or t61....... despite the last one i owned failing i have been very pleased with there support and warenty.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

From your manual, page 15
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-42265
    If you hear 4 cycles of 4 beeps each, the Security Chip has a problem. Have
    the computer serviced.

You said,
    "took it down the road to a pc repair shop ... total cop out i know :-("
    Never knock yourself, the repair shop will, no doubt check your memory, too - all may not be lost, yet.
    Sorry, I cannot help on IBM laptops, as I am not up to date on them, as I recently got 'her indoors' an Acer Aspire 5702z, with 2gb ram, and Vista Premium, and she likes it.
    To be honest, I found it quite good, I bought it through ebuyer, for £299, and reckon it was a good buy.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds