Cell phones, cell phones, and more cell phones

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newgroove, Jun 5, 2005.

1. newgroove

newgroove <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/089815186

Well I finally got out of my contract with Cingular thanks to the good ol' BBB. So now I'm looking into switching to Verizon because I get a discount with my work. The two phones that I've come down to are the LG VX6100 or the Motorola V710. I can't quite make up my mind though and so that is why I'm asking you guys. Any suggestions/reviews/ideas?

2. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i have a motorola. its a piece of crap. hubby has nokia. his works much better.

3. StarBow1er

StarBow1er Private Spam

I have a verizon plan, I think theyre the best out there for now.
    We have and had lg phones, 3 of them. Not because they're bad, we just upgraded them. Not your particular model though. I would reccomend Lgs, we've never had a problem with them.I know lots of my friends have them and never had problems whereas motorolas-it was the first phone I had, its garbage. I've heard of people having problems with them also.
    I'd go with the Lg!

4. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

i just got a new phone with Verizon... the LG VX7000... got 2 or 3 rebates with it and only wound up paying $2 for it ($250 regularly)... it's a nice compact fliphone... i like Verizon because i always have a signal everywhere i go...

i ordered a data link cable on ebay and downloaded a free program to access the phone's memory... i'm now taking pictures off the phone onto my computer and editing mp3's to make my own ring tones out of them... its' pretty cool...

5. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

don't have one........don't want one.........sorry can't help you

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

there are phone forums for Cingular, Verizon and SprintPCS.

google your way there.

Use the force, Luke....

7. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Ye,. there are numerous sites for reviews and such, but what you're asking for is our opinions, so I'll give you mine. The L.G. is the better choice, i.m.o. L.G.'s are usually pretty good, as is that particular model.

But a recommendation for a brand in general - probably Nokia, because their phones are good, and so is the level of support, just about anywhere in the world.

I won't go into details, as a lot of it is personal preference and what you want it to do, anyway.

8. Fraunzonk

Fraunzonk Private First Class

I'm a big LG fan. Especially when compared to Motorola. The menu on the LG is a lot more logical and easier to use. Also, I've found LGs to be a lot more durable. My friend had one and she'd throw it to people (she couldn't throw good so it would always hit the ground) and that think was always fine aside from maybe a scratch. Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I've had 3 clam shell motorolas now and liked them very much. I don't know the v710 model you mention, but if it is just a phone and not a Motorola microsoft smartphone I would go for it. The motorola smartphones are slow, prone to crashing and have bad reception of signal IMHO.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

For quite some time, I've been stuck on 3 different Verizon phones. The LG VX8000, Samsung SCH-a890, and UTSTAR/Audiovox CDM8940.

My contract is up on June 18th, I get $100 off any phone, plust on these 3 phones I should be getting a $70 rebate. So, for a two year plan, I'll be getting either the LG or Samsung for $50 (after rebate) or the audiovox for $80.

In the end, I'm leaning towards the LG model. (Unless the LG VX8100 couse out quick, if not, who cares). Why did I choose this model? Well, first the CDM8940 does have a memory card expansion, this would be nice (yes it is disabled, but there are ways in "hacking" this), plays MP3s as ringtones, but the speakers are horrible. Also, the camera isn't all that great.

The Samsung only has 16 MB of memory and crappy speakerphone like the audiovox. The LG model has 128 MB of memory, excellent speakerphone, plays MP3's (as ringtones (with a few slight modifications)), has a better photo taking capabilities, but is rather bulky.

Still, after leaving japan 2 years ago, none of these phones can even compare and it only took a month to figure out how to use my phone at the time.

An excellent website for massive information on almost every cell phone: http://howardforums.com/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds