Partitioned HDD corrupted to RAW format from NTFS. Retrievable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pentupanger, Jun 19, 2005.

1. pentupanger

pentupanger Private E-2

Athlon 2700+
    WinXP Pro
    1.0GHz RAM
    3 HDDs
    GF4 ti4400 video card
    AVG Virus Scanner/Checker

My main HHD (C: 7.5G) is fine, and my last HDD (H: 25.4G) is fine... but my huge HDD is having problems... The huge HDD (F: partition 1 125.0G and G: partition 2 ~75.0G) was working fine til I tried to run "GetDataBack for NTFS" program on HDD F:, because about a year ago my motherboard went screwy and corrupted HDD F: and I was hoping to see what was on that drive this weekend when I had some free time. So I formatted F: and ran GetDataBack... (but read on... :rolleyes: )

From a year ago til now partition 2 (G: ) of the huge HDD has been working fine, but once I ran GetDataBack it has been making scandisk run on G:, so I am guessing I picked the wrong HDD/Partition to use GetDataBack on... so I basically corrupted HDD G:... and yes... there was stuff on there I hadn't backed up...

And now G: is still showing up in My Computer, but without any kind of specs (HDD size etc...), and when I click on it it tells me that it isnt formatted... also when I click properties it says it is in RAW format. This RAW format and no specs is new today... last night I could still look on the HDD and everything, but this morning the PC ran Scandisk during boot on G: and at the end it said something that I didnt really catch what it said but I did read, "insufficient disk space to carry out...." before it booted into Windows. Since then it has been showing up as RAW and no specs...

Ok... now onto HDD F:...
    Since I figured I wouldnt get my old data back from a year ago with GetDataBack I started to put files back onto F: yesterday morning... I was able to spend the rest of the day yesterday throwing music and other files back onto the drive from my back-up collection of CDRs I have and got the 125.0G HDD down to about 110.0G.... and everything was fine til the HDD G: thing happened this morning... and now the F: HDD is back to RAW format and no specs... (I am not too worried about the F: drive because everything I put on it are on CDRs)

I would like to know if there is anyway to recover from this without having to format both partitions.

Are there any programs out there that can recover files from a RAW HDD (I realize that if the files were corrupt when it happened they will by corrupt when they are recovered)

Was there anything that I did (other than the GetDataBack mishap) that could have caused this to happen?

Is there anyway I can recover F: since last night it was fine til HDD G: decided to run out of room during scandisk... which I dont understand anyway since I had well over 10.0G on G:....

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. pentupanger

pentupanger Private E-2

It seems that my PC still sees the F: and G: drives as being viable, because everytime I reboot it tries to run CHKDSK on both of them... but...

The G: CHKDSK stops after the error "Insufficient disk space to insert the index entry." Where does it look for disk space at? Is it not seeing the disk space because the HDD is corrupt? I should have at least 10.0G left on the HDD... but the partition doesnt even show up on one partition program while it shows up on another with 0 bytes available.

and...

When it runs CHKDSK on F: it says, "Corrupt master file table. CHKDSK aborting." When I run a partition program it says that I have about 11.0G of used space on F:.... is there anyway I can grab that 11.0G off of that drive?

3. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

You're partition tables are corrupted. There's no way to recover from this without a clean partitioning and formatting. Back up what data you can to CD/DVD and do a clean installation, deleting all existing partitions and and creating new ones as needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds