Killcmos

Discussion in 'Software' started by AxioM, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxioM

AxioM Private E-2

There is a file called KILLCMOS in the BIOS section of the main page. NAV just detected it as a trojan horse on my computer. Anyone who downloaded this and/or used it may wish to do a full scan.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not happening to me. Just headed to BIOS section.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Take that back. I am getting a trojan aler too.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

PLEASE read the functions that this performs and then think about why you are getting that message

;)

5. AxioM

AxioM Private E-2

:confused: if u say so...

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

ok,
    the program modifies resets your BIOS. this activity is picked up by your scanners as a false positive because this activity is very much like what malicious programs do. All applications are tried by Tim and/or Jim (the owners of MG) and are verified safe for use by them.

7. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

What he is saying is that any anti trojan or AV software WILL see this program as a trojan or Virus....
    Even most Bios' will se it as such as well...

The function of this program is to right information directly to your BIOS...
    Under just about any circumstance, this is a VERY BAD THING...
    IF you don't know about it.. That is one of the functions of AV or Anti Trojan software, to stop that from happening....

BUT if this is truly what you want to do... then it is OK.. you can disable the anti-trojan software and let er rip!

Of course I take NO resposibility for information being written to your BIOS by anything
    In my opinion, you can just reset your CMOS by a dip swith on the MOBO or by removing the battery..

Any software that is Not from my mobo company trying to write to my bios would make me nervous

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I need to chime in with the rest of the guys here. Kodo explained it well and I am concerned that you should NOT be trying this program. Anything that writes to CMOS from Windows will be detected as a virus. If you go BACK to the page and read prior to downloading, you will see the requirements listed as DOS. This program should be run from a clean DOS boot disk as also CLEARLY explained on the download page. I am assuming you attempted to run this from Windows, not a good idea.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=2969&cat=25

I can not stress enough to you, and anyone else reading, that it only takes a minute to read requirements or special notes from our download page or any enclosed readme.txt. Situations like this are caused by people not reading the instructions and then you try and blame us. Forgive me if I am a bit annoyed right now, but its not reasonable to have no knowledge about something and blame someone else, publicly.

All that said, that program is probably more geared for older BIOS and boards. If you spend a minute reading your motherboard manual, you can probably find instructions on resetting your BIOS, which from the motherboard is basically shorting out the battery to wipe out any information. Its VERY easy to do. You also may be able to flash BACK to a previous version. You BIOS does not care what version it flashes to, so if your having problems, get the flash utility and previous BIOS from your motherboard manufacturer and flash that.

In closing, as a general rule, BIOS flashing (upgrading) is usually to fix specific bugs, they are not general releases for everyone to try. If a BIOS flash does not address a specific problem you are having, and you lack experience flashing and recovering, there is no need to flash your BIOS to the latest version.

I hope this clarifies everything for you, if we can be of further assistance, please ask, we would be glad to help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds