Digital v Analog Monitor View

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cynergy Diva, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Cynergy Diva

Cynergy Diva Private E-2

Ok, I have a question about my monitor. It seems like I have a digital and an analog display. Everything operates in the analog display. The reason I found this out is because I had left my desk for a couple of hours and when I came back, I saw my desktop but there was nothing on it. In the bottom corner was written "digital" I just happened to push one of the buttons and it then said "analog" and all of my desktop items magically re appeared.

Now I don't really care whether it works in digital or analog and I don't even know the difference. But now I have found that the reason why some links don't work for me, e.g. downloads and some demo links is because when I click on them they open up in this alternate monitor universe called digital. I can switch the monitor over to digital and see the link I have opened, but I can't do anything there, as my mouse cursor doesn't work. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this. I am thinking that I have to switch everything so that I'm just working in digital mode, but I wouldn't know how to go about it. I know I have something called Nvidia that controls my monitor but I don't have a clue how to work with it.

Thanks in advance.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

how many cables do you have between your monitor and your PC?

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That's what I was thinking too. It sounds like you have more than one graphics source going to your monitor. If your graphics card supports digital (typically via a DVI connector) and your monitor also supports DVI, then you should go this way, and remove the analog (standard D-Sub/VGA) cable.

4. Cynergy Diva

Cynergy Diva Private E-2

Ok, how do I know what my monitor and my graphics card support? and how do I know which cable to take out if there is indeed more than one? And why would this happen all of a sudden when before things were fine?

Thanks.

5. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

6. Cynergy Diva

Cynergy Diva Private E-2

Thanks guys. Problem solved.

I found something in Nvidia itself that allowed me to set the preferences to a single view only. It happens to be analog but I'm okay with that. My download problems are no longer a problem either.

A big thank you to everyone who offered help.

7. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hmmm, I don't know why that setting would have caused that, but I am glad your problem seems to be resolved. Thanks for the followup.

BTW, if using dual-monitors, I recommend UltraMon.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds