Wedding gifts – what are your choices on that!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by morganhorst, Nov 27, 2008.

1. morganhorst

morganhorst Private E-2

Regards to all, we all have attended wedding of our close ones, friends and in the society. The biggest thing in attending one is the selection of a proper gift. They just wary depending on our relation with the host, but selecting a one is sometimes just not so easy. What would you generally consider a good gift for your friend, I know that it would depend on what he/she likes but what would be the first thought that you would get when thinking of a wedding gift?

2. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

They usually want the photos back. And you know which photos I mean. But those usually go back at the reception, in private, or before the ceremony.

Unless they're those kinds of photos of the groom, in which case we tape them to the limo.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum:)What price range?Talk to other guests and find out what they are getting so they don't end up with 5 four slice toasters.

Whatever you go for though I'd go for a top quality version,if say you can only afford a cutlery set of mediocre quality instead get a couple of high quality ceramic carving knives which will last for years,that's what comes to mind first for me because I want some:-D

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I just buy them things from their gift registry. Everyone does them now.

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

the best thing i received for my wedding was money, they can always use it....it may be impersonal, but that's what i always give, unless i go in on a large, expensive item with others...

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

lol Of course it makes sense in a logical shopping way but still it seems to desecrate the spirit of giving a gift IMHO.

If I were asked to buy something from a list I doubt I'd buy it I'd rather surprise them,I've heard of couples who have done lists like that and they tick off who's buying what like a shopping list.

Hmmm I dunno...

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

If there is no registry, well then they are silly because you would not be in this spot. If they are not well off, I would give them money in amount you would have spent. Maybe they can pay their mortgage, a car payment, a credit card bill, anything that they would be thankful for. I have done this for some friends who were cash strapped and I bet they appreciated that more then a toaster or a pot or something.

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

lol...impersonal, yes, but the most practical. I figure I'd rather get a couple something they need (I'm assuming they need it if it's on a registry) than something personal that I think is great but they have no use for or don't like. I also do money if they are young or I know they need it, as MA said.

I do not buy into the spend what you think they spent per person on the wedding. That to me is BS. I spend according to what they themselves mean to me (family, great friends, aquaintance, etc). I spend more on those that mean the most to me, no matter what they spent on their own wedding.

I go for the more personal gifts for birthdays and Christmas.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds