Problem on boot - drvmain.sdb

Discussion in 'Software' started by ks1009, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ks1009

ks1009 Private E-2

When I boot my laptop, the boot hangs up with a blank screen. The laptop is a Dell Inspirion E1505 running Windows XP Pro, SP2. Things I have tried:

1. I tried booting using last working configuration. Same problem occurs.
    2. I tried booting in safe mode. No error message occurs. But safe mode shows that 10 files get loaded and then the system hangs. The files are:
    windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    windows\system32\hal.dll
    windows\system32\kdcom.dll
    windows\system32\bootvid.dll
    windows\system32\config\system
    windows\system32\c_1252.nls
    windows\system32\c_437.nls
    windows\system32\l_intl.nls
    windows\fonts\vgaoem.fon
    windows\apppatch\drvmain.sdb
    3. I ran hardware diagnostics -- no issues were found.
    4. I tried replacing the drvmain.sdb file with a new copy. Same problem occurs.
    5. I've tried google to try and find similar problems and didn't really have any luck.

Some other info that may be useful:
    1. The laptop was fine all day yesterday and powered down without issues. The problem started when I tried to boot the machine this morning.
    2. I have not added any new software or hardware.
    3. The system had Spy Sweeper, McAfee Antivirus and Firewall running. Weekly scans are done for spyware and viruses. No have been found for months. Last scans were on Friday PM.

I can boot the system using a boot disk that I had created a while back using some tools I found on the web. So, I do have some access. But, I'm not really good at this troubleshooting stuff. As I have found solutions to other problems in your forums, I thought I'd see if you can provide any help or direction on this issue. Thanks in advance.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

For the record, the repair instructions listed on the Doug Knox site are dead on correct. This will leave all your files intact, and just overwrite the OS files. I have done this a number of times on client PC's I've repaired.

You will need to re-install all the security updates, and such, that have come out since your copy of XP was released.

4. ks1009

ks1009 Private E-2

Thanks. I finally got a chance today to give your suggestion a try. It worked!

Sorry that my post seemed like a duplicate with the one you referred me to. I did see that original posting, but as I didn't get any error message, I wasn't sure if I should try the same solution.

Again, many thanks for the help.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

We're glad it worked! On a side note, even though you do see a post like yours here, the Major likes everyone to post his/her problem in a new thread rather than tack it on to someone elese's thread. So you were correct to start a new thread with your problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds