raid 0 cant see hard disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the kav, Apr 13, 2007.

1. the kav

the kav Private E-2

bewildered! Tried to reboot..wont do. tried from windows CD..wont do. message I get is cant find hard drives. what ,generally could be the problem ?
    If the boot sector cant see the drives, is it a BIG problem? confused ..Rich
    thank you for your inputs..

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sometimes a faulty/failing hard drive, with the operating system on, will do this.
    Is there / or has there been a clicking noise, ?

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Loose cable, failed i/o chip on motherboard, poor solder connection on motherboard, fault in bios, raid set wrong in bios, dead hard drive(s).......

You need to go to the bios and try to detect the drives and see if it recognises them. If not then set it to boot from CD first so you can boot from your Windows disk. It is a windows disk, not a manufacturer's recovery disk yes?

Post details of your bios and the exact sequence of messages for more help.

Studio T

4. the kav

the kav Private E-2

No clicking noise.. I restored to a previous date, to flash a lost document ,then undid restore. Next time I rebooted I got no boot/w/ "missing file..MSVCP60.dll.. showing on the screen. Tried to boot
    with windows CD.. couldn't see hard drives..Had a technician remove everything and reinstall windows.. so far so good. I have another computer with pretty much the same info on it. No big loss. I'm moving on to Linux. I think it'll be less trouble.. thanks for your input.. Rich

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Glad to see you are back up and running, Good luck with learning a new system (Linex) - Shame you did not post the missing dll problem , here.
    For others with a similar problem, who may follow this thread,
    First try, usually f8 to get into startup choice, and try a system Restore point
    If unable to restore
    you can look for
    1/---Studiots list, quote "Loose cable, failed i/o chip on motherboard, poor solder connection on motherboard, fault in bios, raid set wrong in bios, dead hard drive(s)"
    2/--Clicking noise.......(failed/failing hard drive)
    3/--Also - A Sata hard drive , sometimes will not be found, if it needs its own motherboard sata driver, when installing windows, in which case, download from your motherboards site and unzip to a floppy drive- and install - by pressing f6 when prompted by Windows, and putting the sata driver floppy in the drive.
    4/-- When starting up, press del/f2,(usually one of those two will get you into the Bios) to get into Bios, and see if your hard drive shows there.If it does not show in the Bios, it is very often, unservicable.
    5/- You can -Try attatching the suspect hard drive as a slave drive to another computer, to recover any data- (right click My Computer, click manage, then click on disk management, and if the drive is showing there, you have a chance to retrieve something )
    The more you tell us about your system, the more help you will be able to get, and quicker.

6. the kav

the kav Private E-2

thanks for your suggestions. Ill continue to research the past problem. Maybe I can give some constructive info back to the forum. Til then ,:) Rich

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds