Motherboard Diagnostic Tool

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hacked, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Hacked

Hacked Private First Class

I'm am looking for a MOBO diagnostic tool for and XFX 790i are there any recommendations and is this tool I am looking for going to be proprietary to the XFX brand?

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

i'm not too sure there any, can you explain why you want to troubleshoot your MB?

What problems are you experiencing?

I will suggest specific hardware diagnostic software once i know the problem.

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

4. Hacked

The board will not hold CMOS settings, will not restart (only after manually turning on and off 3 to 6 times),when it does go into post it stops and is in safe mode and ask to F1 to continue in safe mode or enter CMOS (which the settings it defaults to are not the factory settings for the memory- voltage and timings)at any time opening multiple programs could cause it to shut down completely - not a memory dump - just a complete power off. new memeory from factory (not retail), new graphics cards from facroty (not retail). Started having a problem a short while back with ethernet controller (went out) bought adapter card resolved problem but things have just be arising one after another ever since.

5. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

If it's not holding the CMOS settings, have you considered that your CMOS battery is dying or dead? You can replace it for little cost.

6. Hacked

Yes, replaced it yet the problems still persist.

7. motc7

O.k. If you posted that earlier, which I didn't see here, sorry.

Have you tried reinstalling or updating the BIOS?

8. Hacked

It had the latest BIOS update when this all started but I did reflash the BIOS just to see if anything changed. So yes it has recently(very) had the latest BIOS.

9. motc7

OK. Can I ask you to confirm, did you say that the system time is also not being saved?

10. Hacked

The operating system is keeping the correct itme the memory timings are being set to a default other than standard settings for the memory, to include voltage.

11. motc7

Honestly, I think you have pretty much troubleshot your own problem. It's your motherboard most likely.

Did you try using the utility that was posted earlier?

12. motc7

Disregard. Thought it was a utility.

Try perhaps this item from this site?

http://majorgeeks.com/downloads7.html

13. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

After reading your most recent posts, my best guess is youve got a dead MB.

14. Hacked

Thanks to all this just reinforced something I thought all along. After 2 sets of ram had to be RMA I started getting strong suspicions there were underlying factors. After having a friend tell me there was a virus going around that was burning the eprom on HDD's I began to wonder if something had infiltrated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds