Need help with Outlook 2007 - keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Software' started by bowks, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bowks

bowks Private First Class

I went away for a 1 week break and when I returned my Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 has stopped working. It opens then immediately becomes non responsive. I can't open or delete mail - I just get the hourglass. I can't even close it - I have to force it to quit, repeatedly before it will. It also slows up my whole computer, so that IE becomes really, really slow.

I ran a Microsoft Ofice diagnostics test but that didn't solve anything. This is a relatively new HD and there is plenty of memory. I don't have any idea what to do next and any advice would be very much appreciated.

thanks

Gail

2. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Is this at home, or are you in a company and running on Exchange?

3. bowks

Just at home on my Dell Laptop.

Working offline I just tried to delete an email and I got this message:
    There is a problem writing to your Outlook data file (C:\Documents and Settings......\Local settings\Application Data\Microsoft Outlook\Outlook.pst). Your computer Hard Disk might be out of space or is no longer available. Check your Hard Disk and availability before continuing.

I have plenty of space on the HD, but how would I check the availability?

4. motc7

Your outlook.pst file is where a lot of your stuff is stored.

It's also stored in Contacts folder as well.

Try doing this first, which I got from microsoft. Repairing your pst file.

1. On the Start menu, click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type

drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\LocaleID\scanpst.exe

where LocaleID is the locale identifier (LCID) for your installation of Microsoft Office. For example, the LCID for English (United States) is 1033. For a list of LCIDs, see Microsoft Office Help.
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the Enter the name of the file you want to scan box, type the path and file name given in the error message above.

Note You may not be able to use the Browse button to locate this file because it is located in a hidden folder.
    5. To change the options for logging errors during the scan, click Options. If you choose Replace log or Append to log, the log file is saved to the same directory as the .pst file.
    6. Click Start.
    7. When the file scan is completed, select the Make a backup of scanned file before repairing check box.
    8. Click Repair.

Let us know.

5. bowks

Well... I worked out that I had to type in

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\SCANPST.EXE" then I typed in the file I wanted scanned. The program started initialising.... and then I got this message in a dialogue box...

"An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use a disk error checking program to check the disk, and then try using the Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Inbox Repair Tool again."

What do you think I should do now?

gail

6. motc7

exactly what it says.

• Goto Start/Computer
    • On your C drive right click and click on Properties.
    • On the next window, click the Tools tab, and the first section called Error-checking, I would click on that button, check both boxes on the next screen.
    • It will ask you if you want to schedule it, just say yes and the o.k.

Reboot the computer and it will eventually go into disk checking mode. Word of warning that this could take a few minutes, or a few hours depending on the size of drive, and the level of errors found and repaired.

Let us know!

7. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

And if that doesn't either work or point you in the right direction, perhaps a system restore to a couple weeks ago will do it. Might have been an update gone bad, has been known to happen with Microsoft. :wave:wave

8. motc7

Yeah, like constantly when referring to Office 2007. lol

9. motc7

WAIT!!!!

Is the OP in a business office using this?

10. bowks

Hi Moct7

what's OP? If you mean operator or operating system you already asked me that. Wish it was at work - we have a whole team of IT guys to make sure we don't waste any time not being productive!

I'm at work now just replying to your email, but my laptop with the problem is at home and its my study/private laptop.

I ran the Microsoft office disc in repair mode last night, but this morning I opened Outlook again and tried to delete a message and got the same dialogue box message.

I'll follow the instructions in your latest emails tonight and let you know how it goes.

Gail

11. bowks

Hi Motc7

I ran the error-checking program (took ages) and it fixed the bad sector!
    My computer is completely back to normal. Thank you, thank you. I'm extremely grateful....life is good again.:drool

Have a great weekend.

Gail

12. bowks

Oops! spoke too soon. It is working but everytime I open a message, I get a message saying:

Could not install the custom actions. A required action was not successful due to an unspecified error.

and then it opens the message.

Any idea what that is all about??

13. motc7

But hey it's not freezing right? LOL

I'm researching...

Edit:

Close Outlook
    If on XP goto My Computer then Tools, folder options, view tab. If on Win7 goto Organize and then folder and search options.
    Select show hidden files and folders.
    search down the directory
    Local Disk (C>Users>(your user name)>AppData>Local>Microsoft>FORMS or on XP C:\documents and settings\yourusername\application data\Microsoft\Forms
    Delete the folder named FORMS, its corrupt!
    Close the window and open Outlook 2007
    , everything should work fine now.

Holla back.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  14. bowks

Ahhh! Relief!

I couldn't find the folder so then did a search and deleted it, but when I opened outlook the message still came up, so I did a little researching myself and found that it could be the add ons, so disabled then, but it made no difference and then I couldn't find them to reenable them so I went back and did another search for FORMS and found another Forms folder under programs and deleted that. Then Outlook kept freezing again. Researched again and found I only had to delete the file FRMCACHE.DAT. Did a search for that folder, found it, deleted it. I don't understand why there are/were so many Forms folders even after I deleted them. Anyway, early this morning I reinstalled Office enterprise in repair mode, and......IT WORKS. With no stupid messages.

Now....a BIG THANK YOU for all your help. xxxx:wave

15. motc7

No worries and thanks again. But kudos to yourself for your own research and helping to fix your problem. That's how you learn a lot of this crap. LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds