Zoo Tycoon Complete Collection

Discussion in 'Software' started by silas, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silas

silas MajorGeek

I just bought the 2 disc from Walmart for windows XP I have a windows xp sp3. Anyways I had to install by manually installing it by clicking start-click run-D:\setup.exe and enter. It goes through its things. It ask to install the 256mb or the 510 mb for better performance and more caches. Well I did the 510mb. I go more into it click and create the folder for me into microsoft games. It comes to a window saying it installed and to either play or view read me or register online or connection to internet.. I click view me says theres no file.. to click it on the disc. Then I click play and it comes up to black screen like its going to work... and it looks like a weird screen.. like bad graphics.. and its a little blown up in size.. and also at the bottom task bar theres an "i" in a white bubble that says something like indeo something.. figure it was the game tring to load.. But I let it sit there and nothing.. I tried to Print screen and click to paint but won't allow me (like it freezes) so I restart several times. Any questions? I tried removing and adding 6 times now. Do I have to register it online?

2. silas

silas MajorGeek

There website for the game hasn't been posted on since 2008 or whatever. Guess I didn't want to register the item or view read me anyways. But I am still confuse. Indeo Video pack or something like that pops up at the task bar while the screen is black.

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

Alright kinda weird. But I figure I ask. I thought the two disc was the 1st disc was 1 game(with levels and animals and etc on it) and the 2cd disc was another game of zoo tycoon.. So two disc of different games on them?(but I guess I am wrong?) This is why I ask because it says I can not install the 2cd disc unless I install the 1st disc.. So I tried everything with the 1st disc and nothing works.. but I finally installed the 2cd disc and it works great and normal.. and comes up to the game and level/menu/places/animals.. But I am confused cause it doesn't say for example click on the left icon to play disc 1 the zoo blah blah and click on the right icon to play disc 2 the blah blah.. SO what I am thinking is maybe the 1st disc is an installation of some sort and the second is the game? But if so why did the second disc do the exact same thing with installing? They both installed the say way and did the same things.. So I am confused?

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

What game did you buy? Exactly.

There are 2 Zoo Tycoon games and several expansion packs for both.
    As far as I know ALL work perfectly with XP, I only have ZT 2 with the Soaked expansion.
    It also works on Win 7 for those who might wonder.

5. silas

silas MajorGeek

I got this gamehttp://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Tycoon-Complete-Collection-Pc/dp/B0000A2TPE its 2 disc (1st disc zoo tycoon blue disc.. second disc green saying marine mania and dinosaur dsgs and zoo tycoon. Like I said I got windows xp added way more RAM then needed. Just bought it says to install to insert if not auto load the install menu.. to type D:\setup.exe in (start-click run) and install disc 1 it installs says creating folder in microsoft games. "installation was success" I tried clicking read me and connect tabs at the bottom next to "play me" to view the game instructions before playing, nothing happen just said no way to open it. Well I clicked the icon on destop comes up saying Ideo video package/pack or something like that in a white circle on the task bar. Like it was for the game.. but just didnt load the game up. Anyways I uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I ended up installing disc 1 stop tring to open to play it.. and I just installed disc 2 and it worked great and open just fine and i was able to play it. And my book says that you can not play/install disc 2 without installing disc 1 but they both installed and was playable and looked 100% the same way when installing.. so its not like 1 was the install disc and disc 2 was the game.. and I was wondering if this was the case... where disc 1= intall disc, and disc 2 = game. Another thing is you say theres several exspansion packs? How do I get them and what are they?

6. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ah, ok you have Zoo Tycoon 1 +Expansions.

By the way, I said Soaked earlier, I meant Marine mania, soaked is Rollercoaster tycoon.

Anyway, yes the Disc 1 would most likely be the Zoo Tycoon Game install and disc 2 is the Expansions (marine mania and dino digs)
    Once the expansions are installed you run the game from there.

Example: Install game only and play game only.
    Install game and Marine Mania and run Marine Mania which also runs the main game.

So on and so forth, so there's nothing wrong, you simply run the entire collection from the newest expansion which is on disc 2 :)

They may have set it up so you have to install the expansions to play any of it, but that no bother as the expansions are simply extra missions and items etc, all the originals from the main game are there as well :)

7. silas

silas MajorGeek

So this 2 disc is only made of marine and digs? I figure more.. I thought 3 games. Also what are exspansions of tycoon type game? I just thought that was pretty much meaning stuff you download for extra to add to the game. I played this game back in the way old days.. and it was only 1 disc install and it was also the game disc. Having 2 disc messes ya around.

8. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I would think so, although many games used to come on CD's, Doom 3 for example is 3 discs because it's too big for for 1 CD and DVD's we'rnt a big thing yet.
    The exapsions often come by way of download or disc, or both (either or) depends on the game.
    But since you have what you have, I'm assuming the 2nd disc is the Expansions.
    It should tell you this info in the Manual, but then again game manuals are flakey at best.

As far as I can tell, your version is Zoo Tycoon + Marine Mania + Dino Digs.
    I don't know of any other expansions for the first Zoo Tycoon.
    The Exapnsions always used to require you to have the original game installed, this is now starting to change with "Stand Alone" expansions creeping into the industry.

As for the other tycoon games Expansions, there's lots but all specific to the game.
    There are a huge number of Tycoon games ranging from Hospital to Prison, Mall to Rollercoaster.
    The only 2 that ever really got any attention for being great games were Zoo Tycoon and Rollercoaster Tycoon.
    I have RCT 3 + Soaked and Zoo Tycoon 2 + Marine Mania.
    Both consume your life :-D

9. silas

silas MajorGeek

Yeah I played Roller Coaster Tycoon. And like last year or 2 years ago my GF found a disc of it laying around and said whats this? And at the time the RAM was very minimum. But I added RAM and bought a 10 dollar 2 disc set of this Zoo Tycoon 2 disc... The reason I keep asking is cause I am confused and don't want to start playing it and putting some time into the game. If I do not have it installed correctly and all the things are there. I installed 1st disc and didn't work and installed second disc to and now it works.. SO I hoping I got it all maybe. Also the forum for the game has been locked down since 2008 and no longer able to register and post there. It says people can search through issues and find there own issues related to other post made by people. But I didn't see mine.

10. silas

silas MajorGeek

On this site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812761 it says when you start up the zoo tycoon game it goes black screen like my problem was on the 1st disc(that I am confused about). I installed 1st disc I then try to play it. It goes black and enlarges like Ive seen games due to do intro movie.. and it freezes/sits there on black screen. And it says on the link if it goes black it may be a problem and I don't have the"patch" installed.. But I see no patches. Only patch I see on zoo tycoon actual website patch download was to change/add few things that wasn't related to a problem like mine http://zootycoon.com/Downloads/patches.htm its just to add stuff(so I don't know rather or not to download the patch or download a patch from somewhere else? So to remember what my problem was.. it was I got 2 disc both says to install. Says you must install disc 1 to install disc 2 labeled marine and dino digs. So I installed disc 1 tried to play it it goes black screen and sits.. I install second disc and that 2cd disc works.. But what is the disc 1 for? Sounds like it is a game on disc 1 on sites Ive read.. But I don't know. Also I got 1 vr 1 in person to talk about a game..

11. silas

silas MajorGeek

I just dont get why after installing disc 1 it says successfully installed I double click icon on destop. Opens up user agreement says english I click agree. opens a black screen like tring to load a game. And stops. And screen is big black and somewhat blurry. And taskbar is big during this time like safe mode big. Anyways I restart computer and install disc 2 it installs and when I press play it plays. So I dont know if disc 1 is not a game and is only something for install.. but why would they say to install disc 1 to play on the packet.. and install disc 2 if you want to play marine and digs? That makes me think disc 1 is a game on it. And when I double click the icon after the install of disc 1 it says Indeo video playback in the task bar and the screen is black bigger and more blurry. After googling indeo video playback it talks about a driver and visual. But if I had bad driver/visual issue why disc 2 work great..Its in same pack so should be same driver/visual thing.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  12. silas

silas MajorGeek

Also whats the difference on the disc 2 of "install" and to the right"express install" When I put my mouse over install says if you need help to contact them and the number my game is. And when I stuck mouse over express install says it installs the whole game. SO I clicked express install.

13. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Express install will just install everything as default, custom install allows you to change things like where it installs.

The easiest way to see is to load the game, when loaded it says on the screen what is installed and in the menu's you will have symbols next to items telling you which expansion pack they are from.

As long as you see stuff for Dino digs and Marine Mania then everything is fine, niether will work without the main game.

I'm pretty sure Dino Digs is the newest , so load Dino Digs if you have that option and if it loads then you are set.

Like I said, it's quite possible since it's a collection set that you HAVE to install everything to play any of it, hence disc 1 not loading. I have seen that before, I just can't remember what game it was that did it.

Load up the disc 2 game, if you see Marine Mania and Dino dig stuff then just start playing, it's installed correctly.

And at worst case if you play for a while and it's not installed or you find something that requires you to uninstall, you can save your save game, reinstall and drop your save game back in and continue where you left off :)

I just loaded RCT 3 games from 18 months ago and I've formatted twice and rebuilt my pc since then lol, works fine :)
    I have Zoo Tycoon 2 saves somewhere too, you kind of spurred me to wanting to play it again now lol

14. silas

silas MajorGeek

Yeah I ll just install the the 2 disc and play as is. I don't get an option of choosing digs or marine. Its just part of the picture. It loads up to main window and when you go into free mode type thing. To mess around and tutorial.. it has a bunch of "places""parks" whatever you want from different areas like a water (marine) (dino)(digs type) places there so Ill just assume its okay. :-D Just weird that microsoft site doesn't have support for the game and the site for it have been locked since 2008 (must not support it) just funny they sell these games and but wont get you help if needed. Thanks

15. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol Well Zoo Tycoon was released in 2001.
    If you think about it logically how long does a company support a product when many new products have been released.
    I agree support should continue, but from a business POV it would be too costly to do since the amount of sales and people still playing it are minimal.

Enjoy your game, say goodbye to life :-D

16. silas

silas MajorGeek

Ive always done well and now I am stumped. The spent long time playing the senarios. And I do good until I get to where they add the "you must achieve an adverage of 80% of guest being happy" Now I know the making exibits perfect, keeping all crew around, Tons of rides, tons of drinks/food places/bathrooms, decorated the crap out of my theme parks, trashcans, everything and anything.. I got da*n big amount of guest in the park. Max I had mad at the end was 4 out of 450 people that were thirsty. But that should mean that I got 80% of guest happy(so I am confused) cant get the part of keeping guest happy for 80% of the population during the thing. And I don't know what else to do(does it mean must keep people happy for an avg 80% of the whole time? Like when I 1st start maybe there unhappy.. But that usally stops after I get 1st exibit done cause I pause most of the game to get things done... So not like its taking game play time to get things built and piss em off. (confused on not keeping avg 80% of guest happy)

17. katz1436

katz1436 Private E-2

hey i installed the first disc and it works on zoo tycoon complete collection but i put in the second disc when it said"want more just install the second disc" and i waited but nothing happened, it did not install it just did nothing!,why?

18. katz1436

katz1436 Private E-2

uuuuggggh help me please it does nothing i can hear it running but the screen does not change it sucks:confused:cry:cry:cry

19. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

@Silas... The game is a lot harder than most think eh lol, keeping guests happy is tricky.
    If I remember right, the easiest way to keep your guests happy, or the most "Happiness points" if you like is to have cool animals, each animal comes with a rating of interest (or something along those lines) also keep those animals happy and clean, extra path items such as waterfalls etc also make a big difference.
    What I used to do was take a time out every once in a while and zoom in to walk around my park and see how impressed I would be. Other than that I think the happiness was the hardest thing to get.

@Katz.... You have the same version as Silas?
    If so then obviously you need to make sure you've properly installed the first disc.
    You may have to goto "Start: My Computer"
    And double click the disc to fire it.

It should then start the process of installing the expansions.
    Silas could probably give you more details since I don't have this particular pack.

20. katz1436

katz1436 Private E-2

um how do i click the disc i have not tried it yet, more details later nedlamer,why do you keep writeing"i'm(you)as clever as a bucket of big swill"rolleyes:confused

21. katz1436

katz1436 Private E-2

hey ummm it does not show it when i put it in and click start, my computer is a compaq laptop.:-ohelp:confused

22. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol Thats my signature, it auto posts at the bottom of my posts. Can be found in your User CP :)

To manually start the install process (assuming you are on windows XP or newer).
    Put the Disc in.
    Goto Start.
    My Computer.
    You should see the disc drive with the ZT icon .
    Double left click the drive and it should fire.

You do need to have disc 1 installed before you attempt to install disc 2 :)

23. katz1436

katz1436 Private E-2

i tried that,it does nothing idk if i have windowsXP:-o:confused

24. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok, lets go back to the begining.

Firstly, what Compaq is your laptop? what model?

To find out what operating system you have:

Start
    Right click My Computer.
    Properties.

There will be a list of hardware such as CPU and RAM and also your operating system with service pack version.

Now, you have the Zoo Tycoon Ultimate/Complete Collection same as Silas correct?

You have neither disc 1 or 2 installed?

You put in the disc and either let it auto play or fire it manually and what happens exactly?
    Do you get any messages or errors or does nothing happen at all?

25. katz1436

katz1436 Private E-2

model: Compaq presario CQ60 notebook pc
    memory(ram)2.00GB
    system type:32-bit operating system
    that is what i think is important that it says.:-o

i'm soooo imcompotent and lazy

26. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Do you have disc 1 installed?

What happens exactly when you put the disc in?
    Do you get any notifications at all? even the option to autorun the disc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds