Why can't I add a mirror?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krazykrl, Sep 1, 2004.

1. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

I have Windows XP Pro. I have 2 hard drives on a PCI IDE controller.

One is 42GB, the other is 38GB. I want to make them both mirrored. I know a mirror has to be the same size but doesn't that mean that I can create a mirror of 38GB and take the loss of 4GB unallocated?

I could have sworn I did this before. The "add mirror" option is grayed out and the only volumes I can create are Striped, Spanned, and Simple. Help!

Am I missing something?

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Anybody?

3. MCSEGeek

MCSEGeek Private E-2

Straight from M$'s website.

Editor's note: You cannot create a software raid in Win XP Pro or 2K Pro. You'll have to step up to a hardware solution, ie, SATA or a mass storage controller.

4. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Thank you. Even though their seem to be some holes. It allowed me to create a Stripe, or a spanned volume. Just not Mirror, or RAID-5.

Plus, I DID create a mirrored volume the same way I was trying to create one in WinXP Pro under Win 2003 Server. That is why I assumed I could do it.

Anyone know of a workaround other than hardware RAID?

I found one program that software mirrors folders, disks and even files, but I was looking for something free or perhaps something more dependant. Thanks...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds