Majorgeeks have PW stealing software in the downloads

Discussion in 'Software' started by hmmmm, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmmmm

hmmmm Private E-2

Example: http://majorgeeks.com/download4136.html
    (in the "covert ops" section)

This program is an information stealer TROJAN HORSE. Completely illegal - invasion of privacy. I suggest the admins to immediately remove the illegal password stealing programs.

"Create as many keylogger engines as you like and deploy them on remote systems with ease."
    remote installation == trojan horse

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

OK, a few comments here. First off this program is in no way a trojan horse. Trojan horse is a program which appears to be something and then once installed it does something else. As you can see this program claims to log your activity and it in fact logs your activity.

As for illegal, well, not really sure what to say. It's not.

As far as remote installs go. Well, let me just say remote install does not make something a trojan. In fact to be perfectly honest you can remotely install any program. This includes windows. Remote installs are extremly common in large networks. You didn't actually think network admisn walked to each physical computer to install them? Big companies always do remote installs.

key loggers are completely legal, and if you read the rest of it you'd see what it's used for. Some people use it to keep an eye on their kids. Others use it to help them rememebr what they themselves did. Also many companies use keyloggers to make sure employees are actually working. They are in fact very common place.

3. kadavill

kadavill MajorGeek

Yes i scaned it and was deleted by my av.

4. funky munky

funky munky Staff Sergeant

MORON

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

So what, just because something exhibits virus like activity and is flagged by an AntiVirus program doesn't mean it is.

Most scanners will look for Keyloggers and alert you of their presence because they can have sinister uses, but they can also have legitimate uses.

If you were so concerned why didn't you just contact one of the admins, or do you have a past grievance and this somehow makes it pay back or makes you feel better?

6. kadavill

kadavill MajorGeek

Ok i get it.
    Keyloggers are illegal only if you use it to spy others computer.
    Is it legal to spy on kids and guests?

7. Insomniac

It's not illegal (at least in most civilised countries) to sell or use keyloggers as long as you use it on your own machine or have the owners consent.

Just because something can be used illegally doesn't mean it can't be sold and used in a perfectly legal way.

Knives can be used illegally, so using funky monkies logic (or lack of) stores are not allowed to sell or advertise them.

This bit I love "The program is an information stealer"

NO KIDDING! Where did it say it wasn't? It clearly outlined what is was for, and yes that includes "information stealing". lol

Then the idiot writes "remote installation == trojan horse" LOL! How dumb and simplistic.

He thought he would try and make this place look foolish, but only succeeded in making himself look even more so, if that is at all possible.

8. funky munky

im sorry that was harsh i had just woken up and was in a fowl mood

9. Insomniac

I didn't think it was harsh, I just wish I'd thought of it.

10. funky munky

im going to flip-flop to be popular and retract my apology :)

11. Insomniac

I accidentally used your name instead of his in one of my replies (4th post up), so forgive me, that must be such an insult.

12. hmmmm

hmmmm Private E-2

#Encouraging people to break laws (pw stealing / invasion of privacy) is illegal. Soft Central encourages you to send it to computers you don't own.

#Even ATTEMPTING to steal PWs is illegal.

#You must tell other people that the computer is keylogged to keylog more legally

Not all keyloggers are trojans but SC-keylog is definitely.

1. It disguises itself as a system file, such as explorer.exe
    2. It's possible to disguise it as other programs, such as game cheats, jokes etc. If a keylogger doesn't have that feature, it isn't a trojan.

Remote installation (in hacking programs such as keyloggers) is a "hacker" term for a Trojan horse. SCkeylog is designed to be used maliciously.

Do knife makers say that "you can use this as a weapon"? No. Do keylogger makers say that "you can use this without permission on computers that you don't own"? YES.

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

You obviously have no clue what a trojan is in comparison to SC-Keylog.. until you learn the distinction you need not post any further about this subject. Did you ever think that maybe you want to log your own computer for security reasons.. due to the nature of what keyloggers do, ANY KEY LOG PROGRAM LIKE THIS WILL SHOW UP AS A TROJAN!!!!

I wish I was as clueless as you, because it just might make life more easy .. ignorance truly is bliss or is it?

14. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I just wanted to add that we are all here to learn, you refuse to. Heres something I want you to try, just to make a point. Try one of our BIOS tools and see how your anti-virus program likes it :) Let me know if our entire BIOS section is then full of trojans and illegal. Your anti-virus did its job, you just dont understand what the program does and why it is normal to have anti-virus flag it. Why were so offended is because you are one of about 1 a day who says we are passing off viruses. What YOU ARE doing is slandering our name, that is the only problem here. I suggest you re-read this thread so you have a clue and hopefully stick to less advanced tools for the time being.

15. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

<insert = $0.02>

Just because your antivirus program is set to detect key loggers doesn’t make key loggers virus. It just means that they are both doing their job. That about as ridiculous of a correlation that an anti—spyware program detects cookies; so cookies are spyware.

Does SC-Keylog hide it self well—absolutely. That’s part of the point of the program. If it were easy to defeat there would be no point in using it.

Also there is no such law saying you have to tell someone you have a logger on your machine. If you own the machine you can put damn near anything you like on it. Guess what, your employer may have that program running on your machine at work right now and they don’t have to breathe a word to you about it. I’ve installed that and similar on every machine of a friend with a net surfing teenager…. They don’t have to tell them a thing. Some do, some don’t but regardless those kids are safer.

Can the program be used for bad things – sure, but bad people will find ways to use good things to suit their means. That doesn’t mean that program is inherently bad. Just like the knife you mentioned is not inherently bad --- until you jam it into some dudes chest.

You are wise to protect yourself against them, but frankly if I wanted your passwords there’s about 50 other tools I use before a key logger. Too bulky, too easily spotted.

---
    Aside:
    This conversation reminds me of the argument years ago about NetBus… Which was considered a Trojan (and a damn good one) until Microsoft bought them – now it’s “Remote Desktop”.

</insert>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds