Have to repair my wireless connect on every startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jellaboo, Aug 20, 2005.

1. jellaboo

jellaboo Private E-2

I bought a new eMachine computer and put a D-Link wireless card in it. Every time I boot up I have to repair (disable and enable) the wireless connection. Once I do this, it works fine. It is just annoying. Any ideas? I would appreciate any help.

2. ultralink

ultralink Private E-2

even i have a similar problem. everytime i restart i have to disable & enable. i think this is happening because of the service pack 2. coz with sp1 it worked fine. well i have a D-Link DWL 520+ (pci) & DWL 622 (usb)

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

You might try updating the firmware on your access point or wireless router. Also check the Dlink website to look for an upated driver for your wireless card.

4. bubbles

bubbles Private E-2

Try this:

1) Remove the wireless card from your PC
    2) Power on the PC and run a program called "Add/Remove Plus" (www.innovatools.com/products/addremove/) to completely remove the D-Link software that comes with D-Link cards.
    3) Reboot your PC, as pointless as this may seem.
    4) Power off the PC and put the card in.
    5) Power on the PC, and when Windows boots up it should detect that there's new hardware. Instead of installing the software and drivers that came with the D-Link card, go through the wizard to install the new drivers only**. If Windows doesn't detect that there's new hardware, simple go to Device Manager and force the drivers on the card. You should see it under "Unknown Device".

**Make sure you are downloading the drivers from the appropriate site. For example, if you bought the card in Canada, go to dlink.ca, if you bought it in the USA, go to dlink.com, etc.

I'm guessing that you are using Windows XP, so you can simply use the built-in wireless utility. If you are not using XP, try Boingo, from Boingo.com.

I'd try this before going through the annoying process of updating firmware for your WAP or router. If you do need to go this route, make sure that you are doing it from a WIRED connection. Many people make this mistake.

Last but not least, burn that card. D-Link is TERRIBLE. Not only do their products suck; but the company in general is crap.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds