xp control panel - administrative tools

Discussion in 'Software' started by whril, Sep 10, 2007.

1. whril

whril Private First Class

while trying to learn the process necessary for the running of xp i came upon the following.

"Disabling services can be a way to improve your computers performance. To get to them, go to your Control Panel, Administrative Tools and Then Services."

so, of course i went to the control panel, administrative tools to check it out. question here is, where is the "services"? can't find any in the folder or the tool bar.

smile
    whril

2. cr.Gena

cr.Gena Private First Class

and what kind of service are you going to disable?
    it's very strange you can't see the services point in the administrative tools folder. Can you anything else in this folder?

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Right click my computer, click manage, click Events, then you will see services, click services, and in the right hand panel all services are listed.
    To see what you can disable visit black viper
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

4. whril

whril Private First Class

i don't know at this point if i am going to disable anything or not. the hard drive was given to me with xp on it. full of viruses, worms, etc. have been busy cleaning the system and uninstalling programs i won't use. i have not uninstalled or deleted anything that i am not 100% sure of what it is.

being a diehard 98 user i am not familiar with xp or its file system. a new learning curve here.

the only thing in the administrative tools folder is the "desktop.ini" file. is there a reason this is missing?

i can get to the manage section with the other instructions, thank you! now i will have to figure out what is needed and what isn't.

smile
    whril

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Go here http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    this guy is great for telling you what each service should be set to for a happy computer. Services are dependent on one another and if you just turn one off, you may end up breaking some things.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you are deleting programs, vrus, worms, you might find the registry gets fuddled - with XP, if you have the Windows cd, you can let windows repair its own protected files...
    Go to Start, click on run, and type in sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc)
    and then put the XP disc in the cd/dvd rom, and wait with your finger on the mouse to click retry, every time it asks, until it closes.
    You will not be told it has fixed anything, but it might ask you to retry button several times before it finishes.
    Don't go to far with services in one go - do it a few at a time, if stopping any.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds