Slowness in XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jud149, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I recently purchased a Dell with XP Pro, a 3.06 GHZ processor, 1 GB RAM, and 160GB hard drive. In surfing, it seems quite sluggish at times, and slower than my old Win 98 computer. I have virtually nothing in it program wise except what it came with. Frankly, I quite disapointed. It came with Mcafee, which I delete (all that I could), and installed Sygate firewall, Spybot, Ad-Aware, AVG, Spyguard, Spywareblaster, and CCleaner. Also, I turned off the MS firewall. I was looking at a friend's system, which also has XP Pro and much less horsepower and flies compared to mine. Am I missing something which would speed it up.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

This is a common thing with new pc's, they load so much junk on them from the factory. xp pro has no bearing on this, there is programs accessing the internet as you are trying to surf, things like update managers, game sites ,possibly driver update programs, just things that you dont really need,ccleaner has a startup program built in where you can stop these programs from starting up,I choose to disable all update programs, printers, office,anything i can start from a shortcut when i need it, if you think you screwed up with the program, just uninstall it and everything will go back to default.For the startup manager go to tools startup. ed
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

3. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I've pretty much cleaned up my start up items and it hasn't helped.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Slowness with programs or with internet?

5. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Internet!

6. TimW

Regarding slow page load in I.E.:

1. click on Internet Explorer
    2. go to to your root dir (usually C:)
    3. open Documents and Settings folder
    4. open "your username folder"
    5. open UserData
    6. **close IE if you have it open**
    rename index.dat to index.old
    logoff and log back on (don't need to restart)

open up IE and go to a web page or site that always seemed to load slowly. It should load a lot more quickly now.

NOTE. Always rename or backup .dat or other system files before deleting.

7. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

TimW, thanks for the help once again, but I can't find the IE section you're referring to.

8. TimW

Then lets go a different route ....device manager ....nic card (ethernet) ...find what it is and go to the web site for the card and see if they have an updated driver .....is fo , update the nic drivers.

9. TimW

Another thought:
    To clear your dns cache,type the following in a command prompt: ipconfig /flushdns

10. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Thanks for the help, but I'm a little concerned about having to add drivers as this is a new computer/system and I just don't think it should have to have such software added to make it operate properly. Something is amiss to make it run this slowly.

11. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I just gave that a try but it didn' seem to help.

12. TimW

13. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

No virus items, TimW, just 3 spyware items. As noted, I have AVG installed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds