XP: How to change Power Options for non-admin

Discussion in 'Software' started by sumthinelse, Mar 12, 2007.

1. sumthinelse

sumthinelse Private E-2

This is what I want to do for a non-admin account:

Control Panel->
    Power Options->
    Advanced->
    Prompt for Password when computer resumes from standby->
    check the box->
    OK

I get access denied.

I tried making a shortcut but the Properties->Advanced
    ->Run with different credentials

is greyed out.

I have already done this for admin, but XP the right-click "Run As" is not there for Power Options. I searched for "Power Options" in the registry but found nothing.

Is this an XP design problem?

Thanks.

2. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

You have to logged on as the administrator to do this...

3. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

To set password prompt for all other users they must have a password login. NOTE: Password prompts after standby are only set for the current user log in.

4. sumthinelse

sumthinelse Private E-2

I know. Did you read my post?

I can't do "Run As" for power options. I already did this as admin, but that doesn't change the option in the non-admin Power Options. So the non-admin will always have the option unchecked.

5. sumthinelse

sumthinelse Private E-2

I know. Sorry, if I understand what you are saying, this does not help.

6. sumthinelse

sumthinelse Private E-2

The only way to do this seems to be to change the user account to admin, then make the changes, then demote to admin again. Looks like poor MS design to me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds