Computer not reading DVD-R disc!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xhayatox, May 6, 2011.

1. xhayatox

xhayatox Private First Class

I'm trying to insert a blank DVD-R disc into my laptop, and nothing pops up. I go to My Computer> and it says "Drive:E". (For the disc) I try to click it, and it give me an error and the drive disappears. Then when I try to eject the blank disc, it won't come out. It gets stuck in the driver. Why is this happening? These are just blank DVD-R discs and I'm trying to burn movies onto them. Why isn't the computer reading the discs properly? On my old computer I never had this problem.

When I insert the disc it says

"Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is unformatted, you need to format it before using it."

2. xhayatox

xhayatox Private First Class

I have tried to run the discs on three different computers. I keep getting the same message.
    "Windows cannot read the disc in Drive E:/. "Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is unformatted, you need to format it before using it."

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Unscientifically, my experience is that about 3-4 blank discs out of a 100 pack turn out to be "coasters" (as in what you set a drink on) - defective and unusable. This becomes evident either when you insert the disk (as in your case) or ending up with an error message during the burn/verification process.

Since you've run into this error trying multiple discs from the same package on three different PCs, I doubt it's a hardware or driver issue. If possible, I would return the package of discs to the store for a refund and try a different brand -- my guess is the ones you are having issues with were a bad batch from the factory.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds