Chkdsk runs forever

Discussion in 'Software' started by nigh, Aug 3, 2014.

1. nigh

nigh Private E-2

I had a windows pop-up message saying I had a corrupt file & advising me to run the chkdsk utility. I ran this from 'File, run' but this seems to run forever. You can see from the screen grab below it reports that it is 166% complete, it's still running & currently reports 359% complete. Will it ever stop?
    Win XP SP3
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

You may be caught in a loop where one program deletes the temp file and another immediately creates one to document the change.
    Are you running in safe mode?
    Can you stop any HDD utilities?

3. nigh

nigh Private E-2

I'm not in safe mode & I do have utilities running, SpyBot, Malwarebytes, System Mechanic.
    The Chkdsk window is still running but has changed to this:-
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

I'm surprised that chkdsk will even run during a Windows session. You should have gotten the following message when you attempted to run chkdsk on your system drive (At least this is the case in Windows 7)

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

If I were you I'd just abandon whatever perversion is happening in that DOS box of yours, and instead elect to run chkdsk "the next time the system restarts".

If the above stock message doesn't present itself in XP, then you'll need to use a boot disk to access DOS prior to Windows loading, and then run chkdsk from there. That way chkdsk can run in peace without all of those Windows apps constantly attempting to access the drive simultaneously.

5. nigh

nigh Private E-2

I didn't get the message you describe. I've shut the DOS window now & will try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds