Change of car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DavidGP, Aug 9, 2014.

1. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Well decided to change car and downsizing over the years from a 2.5 5cyl Abarth to a 1.4ltr turbo petrol to a 2cyl supercharged turbo Fiat 500s

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...1F5E0205823EDE5A3F5DDA8164C7&selectedIndex=30

Pluses are £0 road tax in UK and £100 cheaper car insurance plus the small car is neat, with 7" TFT dashboard screen, nippy as hell for the size also. Slightly different wheels and fog lights than the pic car but same colour.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Sharp car.

I just picked up a PT Cruiser on the cheap w/69k miles. Dealer had it on the lot since October, and it was $1500 below book. All the little things wrong with it were simple to fix like the air filter, sparkplugs, belts and cleaning the IAC solenoid so it didn't stall when coming to a stop. The hard part will be the ball joints in the front end.

It's a standard, love the retro look, great gas mileage, and it's quite peppy as well...

:cool

Attached Files:

3. DavidGP

Neat car mechanic they look in the UK like a typical USA hotrod type.

I have to wait for mine as I have spec'd some extras as in bi-xenon headlights that are factory fit and take a while to get as its unusual for folk to spec them, but I like sharp light! :)

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Congrats on the new car, Dave. :) Looks sharp (and really really teeny LOL)

5. DavidGP

Cheers Laura, I get in in Sept sometime as spec I ordered is a factory build, but I reflected on what I need a car for and small is good as its good for works carpark and I do not drive any distance now as I get train or plane for work related stuff, plus the reduction in tax is good in this car.

Will post a few pics once I get it.

6. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Good deal on the new car, David. Pretty economical and looks spiffy, i.m.o.:cool Fiats are becoming popular 'down-under', too.
    I bought a new car this year, too. A Mitsubishi Magna Executive. 274 B.H.P., 3.5l V-6. LoL! I'm not very 'Green', but that's me, I paid for my pollution, LoL!;)

[​IMG]

I think that the colour is call Burgundy, or some such.

I have six cars, last count.:-o

7. DavidGP

Nice Barry!

Driven a few Evo's so that one is really good model.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its a slippery slope. I keep saying <insert car> has enough HP for me until the next one. I don't think I could buy a car with under 300+ horses anymore. Especially since these larger engines are becoming as economical as some 4 cylinders.

9. DavidGP

Kinda depends how those 300+ horses are put down in the road, euro cars tend sadly to do this better than US muscle cars (take Ferrari and McLaren), the little Fiat 500s I'm getting has 105HP but supercharged/turbo, so no different to my current 150HP car that's a petrol turbo and 1.4ltr

UK roads are small and windy so nippy cars are better and seem quicker that what they are HP wise, would not be great on USA roads mind, unless you want the fasionista type car as the 500 is.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

11. DavidGP

Ah depends on car, change the Ferrari for a McLaren P1 then different ball game, but the proof is in not straight line speed but how a car handles in the corners, and euro cars are superb in handling over muscle cars IMHO.

Weirdly that video is not accessible in UK, wonder why!

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its a conspiracy ;)

Highlights: The caddilac smoked the ferrari. ;)

I think it is less about UK vs US cars and efficiency and more about race cars vs. muscle cars. Then there are the drivers.

Currently the US has the fastest production car in the world.

13. Phantom

You both have valid pints, actually. One reason I like the later model Magnas is that they have a whole heap of safety and road handling features. Seems to hug the road real well and it's mid-winter here.
    One reason is that Mitubishi (Aust.) had a big fubar and Recall back in the '90's and learned their lesson the hard way. Still stopped making them in Aust. after a few years, though.
    Fuel usage is not too bad, and this is the third V-6 I own, (the BMW is a straight six and hauls Butt, LoL).
    It was a bargain price so all was cool, anyway.:cool

14. DavidGP

I agree on cars and I love US cars and ratrods especially, but what is the fastest car?

Bugatti Veyron Sport is what I would think off hand, other would be Hennessey Venom GT, so US would have it in a straight line, add a few curves though ;)

I just like a small neat sexy car, the 500 is that, black metallic paint, dark alloys and red brake calipers plus bi-xeon headlights make a neat car.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  15. Phantom

@ Dave:- I desire this car!!...:yum

[​IMG]

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Phantom linked it ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAavCjVQvM

Faster than the Bugatti by ~ 3mph.

17. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Gee Dave, it looks like a dinky toy ;) LOL
    Oh well if it suits your needs and is reliable then it will be a good car for you :cool Over here Fiats and Alfa Romeos have a really bad name for reliability and have many service issues probably exacerbated by our high ambient temperatures and the large distances between cities ;)

With the family and a big dog we have a Volvo 940 turbo wagon and although not the fastest car around by a long shot, it still is OK and very safe.
    My son is the other end of the spectrum with a restored Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign Series 3 as well as a Magna wagon. He is doing his best to use all the remaining petrol reserves LOL

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There is an Abarth 500 around here. I always chuckle because I don't understand how a car that small can make that much noise ;)

Looks like it might be fun in the twisties. I am only sad that it is FWD.

19. DavidGP

Like pocket rockets, the one I am getting is not the Abarth, but the Sport version the Abarth has the same engine as my current car.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...F36F55D28563E85632EA64B0F48F8&selectedIndex=5

This above but black metallic

I really don't need huge HP nowadays, I tend to travel via plane or train.

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I wouldn't mind one of those if they bumped it 200hp.

Looks like a nice car though :)

You can't get the HID option here :(

21. DavidGP

I agree J on 200BHP in this car but it would eat as a FWD the tires, the Abarth in Europe you can get to 160BHP+ in special form, price is upwards of $60K tho.

I'm for neat car plus cheap running costs these days.

22. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I like the car you linked to. It's snazzy :)

23. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I've noticed around here, the smallest cars make the most noise,
    and the motorcycles are the loudest of all.

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes but a motorcycle is fast .

The abarth is louder than even a neon srt4.

I'm of the opinion that cars can be loud like that but if the performance isn't there, its childish.

My car is not even as loud as the abarth.

25. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

It's like kids attaching playing cards to their bicycles with clothes line clips.
    I did that. It was fun.

26. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

So I was in DC for the weekend at my sister's and we were actually driving behind one of these. A nice car, Dave...and looks like it would be easy to park in a city.

27. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Love it.. for the savings + more than enough power to weight ratio. Perfect for the UK.
    Cheers..

28. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

An Abarth 500 is a pretty quick car though. Does 0-100km/h in 6 or so seconds. Besides, you can put the exhaust in a 'city' mode for less noise.

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6.9 but anyway not fast enough for the noise it makes IMO.

Its actually surprising it is that slow. It needs more weight reduction, my 95 cavalier z24 was the same curb weight and a bigger car.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  30. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Be sure to keep us posted on the Fiat, Wifey is looking at one.
    Too many wheels for me, my much modified BMW K1200s gets zero to sixty mph in 2.9 seconds. Son has gotten it under 10 seconds in the quarter mile but I have only come very very close. And it gets 40 - 43 mpg commuting to work.

31. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

You forget that the "muscle" cars are designed for 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag races.
    Straight line rockets they are.
    If you have seen any of the American restoration / rehab shows the first thing they do is chuck the suspension and put in beefed up aftermarket.

Myself I've become fond of Buicks of late.

32. DavidGP

Emma I can only think and will tell friends "its Snazzy" its is, don't need a snaring monster now, I could get one, but no point, and I had those in the past a 2.4lt 5cyl based rally/race car that ate faster cars.

DOA will do and as mine is a spec car it takes a few months to get, me being a fussy bugger! Xenon headlights are the drag on time, but I have time. Deffo let you know on drivability etc and in a few test drives they are neat, but get the 1.4 Turbo or 0.9lt (105bhp) supercharged turbo.

Huge engines great but driveability and cornering is the test.

33. DavidGP

Yes I can get a huge Mercedes, BMW, Audi but what is the point when I just now drive city, all of my work related travel is paid for and train or plane... so makes sense to downsize and I don't need a powerful car and actually the 105 Twinnair is really nippy.

Indeed Barry perfect for UK city driving,

34. DavidGP

Yeah Don, I know Am I getting slower, I dunno as the car is not a quick supercar but its rapid for its size, plus for me the tech is neat, 7" TFT dashboard screen, supercharges turbo 0.9lt engine, small so neat for city driving as I do moistly now, if I travel its plane or train via work.

Road tax is £0 and car insurance £100 less. so a plus over the long term, and the 500s look neat.

35. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Yeah, it weighs as much as it does because it's very, very safe. It's much safer than the '95 Cavalier Z24 you had prior to the 500. And, for its class, I find it to be quite a nippy car. But perhaps that's also a European viewpoint.

36. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Okay, so all the money into it and no electric motor to back him up?

37. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

It's a cool concept. Pretty ideal if you're commuting max 20km for a single trip I guess. Especially with electric support.

38. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

39. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The price is right is more likely the reason. The car has not yet been released to the public.

40. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm aware of the technology but you can't call it a good product without anyone ever seeing or have driven a production model. The actual product might end up being a steaming pile of :crap Everything looks good on paper. That said, the price is right so many will take a risk.

I suspect the first run will be pretty meh with the second run being much better.

I agree on internal combustion engines. Of course, this still has one so...

41. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Once electric becomes more reliable and the cost to produce drops, I think we will see a huge influx of electric vehicles. There is a reason Tesla puts 8 year warranties on their drives and batteries. They are too expensive and too prone to failure due to current tech.

42. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

My 2012 Honda Accord goes back soon (she's a Lease). Not sure what I want to get. Those Fiats are nice, good luck with 'er!

43. Elena0818

Elena0818 Private E-2

There is an Abarth 500 around here.Looks like it might be fun in the twisties.

44. DavidGP

Yeah was thinking of the Abarth 500 and I have had one in the past in an Stilo Abarth Manual, 2.4lt 5cyl normal aspirated, that was a fuel eater.. but only reason not to go with an Abarth 500 was distance to dealer, for servicing etc I would have to travel and likely stay overnight as no local dealers sadly.

So the Sport S was closest. The standard Abarth 500 has same engine as my Bravo Sport T150 but with only 135BHP opposed to 150BHP, so I will not miss the umph really and as its city driving I do these days less so.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  45. DavidGP

That's the issue... COST and the FACT that electric is expensive to buy and maintain as well as produce, and is electric really clean, no as the car still needs fossil fuel to produce it, the batteries are dirty as hell to make, and where is the power from, dirty electricity.

Hydrogen is the likely fuel of the future if we contain its volatility.

46. DavidGP

47. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hydrogen research hasn't stopped. There is no completely satisfactory way yet to produce the electricity needed to split hydrogen from water (electrolysis). In fact, that's what fuel cells do, produce energy from the splitting. The hydrogen itself is not the fuel.

So the process is still "dirty". The actual process of splitting hydrogen from water is a simple process, and something any first year chemistry student does as a lab experiment.

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch20/faraday.php

So I wouldn't say hydrogen research has stopped, it has just morphed into other techs, such as water powered vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
  48. DavidGP

Hey I'm there with hydrogen as I think its the next way we need to power our cars.... but I still like my old 2.4lt as in pic

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  49. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I live 12 miles from the Tesla plant and that will be my car in the not too distant future. Hoping for a discount from a neighbor that works there. I have a large south facing roof that is getting 30 of 275 watt solar panels.
    http://www.solarworld-usa.com/~/med...le-plus/sunmodule-solar-panel-275-mono-ds.pdf
    Enough to power the home and commute during the summer and the commute during the winter. The US has a 30% tax incentive so I am looking at under $100,000 USD for a new car and never buying gas again. Payback is under 7 years when I include the reduced summer electric bills. After that I am making money.
    We will keep Wifey's Camry for long trips.
    Scenarios like mine will slow down hydrogen and other technologies because you can do solar / electric now reducing the attraction of future technologies.
    As for 3 wheel cars, drive one before you buy, with three tracks you cannot miss a pothole. Around here this is a major concern and one reason I ride a motorcycle as much as possible, one track vehicle.

50. DavidGP

Well DOA, its neat only had it one day and love it already the sport version is hard on the suspension but I don't mind that, it also corners like a go-cart!

Pic below of mine, the bi-xenon headlights are really good, not a normal thing on many 500s but really makes it stand out, black alloys and red brake calipers stand out too. The 7" dashboard screen is really cool, weird bit is you can get it to show you the g-force you pull in acceleration, braking and cornering! in a 500 why but cool none the less!

https://imageshack.com/i/f0wydmWIj

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds