Windows Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'Software' started by luma13, Aug 23, 2004.

?

What do you think of Service Pack 2.

Poll closed Sep 12, 2004.
  1. Download it for sure!

45.5%
  2. Don't Do IT!

9.1%
  3. Don't have it yet.

45.5%
  4. Its up to you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. luma13

luma13 Private E-2

Did anyone get Services Pack 2 yet, I have been told do it because its nice, others say don't because it will mess a lot of things up.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

do a search for SP2 in the software forum. you'll have plenty to read. ;)[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
    [/font]
    [/font]

3. luma13

luma13 Private E-2

Thanks

~LuMa

P.S. I would still like to know what everyone thinks

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Depends.

If I listen to the people who call us, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

If I go by personal experience, I would say dive right in and get it.

5. MechGeek

MechGeek Private First Class

I'm going to wait for a bit before i get it. I'll just let everyone figure out all the problems here in the software forums and then get it later. At some point i think you will pretty much have to have it since it is more of an OS upgrade than a patch.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Why prolong the enevitable.. you either get it and some software thats not been updated by vendors "may" not work... or dont get it and loose some of the updates and patches you wont get from WU.

There are very mixed results floating around on the rumournet, some say went without a problem and some its been a nightmare... one thing to make sure of is make a backup of all important data before installing ( better still if you have HD imaging soft like Acronis True Image make an image of your OS ) .... make damm sure you have no virii or spyware and update all software/driver to latest versions and that will give you a good chance of it working first time.

7. bigstep_70

bigstep_70 Private E-2

regarding your querry as to wether or not to upgrade to WindowsXP-SP2... Ive been reading a lot of different forums and message-boards and my verdict is... DO NOT INSTALL SP2 (sorry Bill)... ive calculated that 85-90% of users have had problems with the install (using MS Windows Update)... this leads me to beleive that something is wrong with the way the MS Windows Update site is uploading/decompressing/installing XPSP2... then again maybe its just buggy cause other people report no problems with the transfer/install routine but get errors and bugs once they're booted again (after XPSP2 is done installing)... and finally a small percentage of people have had great success...

hmmmmmmm... i'll wait a couple of build versions before i install XPSP2
    ive downloaded the first one but want to colect a few months worth of them to see which are stable and which are bummed
    my WindowsXP SP1 works great... "if it ain't broke..."

CPU Type Intel P4 Northwood/HT@2633 Mhz (800Mhz)
    Motherboard MSI 865PE Neo2-S (MS-6728 / 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM, Audio, Network)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865PE
    Memory Module(s) 1x 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (400Mhz, Nanya M2U51264DS8HB3G-5T)
    BIOS Type American Megatrends Inc. V2.1 (02/19/04)
    Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9600 (AGP, 256Mb, GPU@324Mhz, Mem@202Mhz)
    Video Driver Ver. 6.14.10.6458 (6/10/2004)
    Monitor AOC Spectrum 7F (17" CRT@1152,864,75)
    Audio Adapter SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio (C-Media 9739A)
    Speakers Labtec LCS-1070 (12 Watts RMS)
    Network Intel PRO/100 VE Integrated Network Connection
    Linksys EtherFast Cable/Dsl Router (BEFSR41)
    Terayon cable modem
    Disk Drive(s) Maxtor 40 GB (7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
    C: (NTFS) Partition1-38154 MB
    Maxtor 80 GB (7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
    D: (NTFS) Partition1-39079 MB
    E: (NTFS) Partition2-39079 MB
    Optical Drive(s) HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
    HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
    Power Aspire 520Watt Blue Aluminum (3 fans-2 intake/1 output, adjustable speed)
    Cooling Zalman CNPS7000 cpu fan (adjustable speed@2750rpm)
    MSI Northbridge fan (adjustable speed@6550rpm)
    80mm intake (back of case)
    80mm circulatory (near HD's)
    Operating System Windows XP Pro 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
    DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b)

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Entirely inaccurate.

85-90% of posts, articles, and whatnots are complaints about SP2. The people you hear from are definately not representative of the entire population of XP users upgrading to SP2.

Success stories are generally not told, because people rather read failure, than success. Its more interesting to read. Typical human behaviour.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds