Assist Kodo in finding a PDA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kodo, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Ok peoples.. I am asking for help in finding a PDA. my req's are:

1. Integrated wireless
    2. WIndows Mobile 2003 SE
    3. Long battery life 1000MAh or more
    4. 64MB or more
    5. 300.00 USD is my max.

bonuses:
    1.Camera
    2.VGA support

I am hearing HORROR stories about iPaq's and the screens cracking too easy as well as the screens melting. So I am counting on the geeks here to hook me up with some personal experience.

Palm is not an option.

I plan on using this as a testbed for mobile applications that I purchase for my environemnt or developing outright. Typical office use (synch to outlook etc), email, browsing at a hotspot. Camera would be nice but not essential. Wi-Fi is a MUST.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Rubba dub bump.. :)

3. Dude1010101

Dude1010101 Corporal

what would that 300USD come out as in US $$?

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

USD is US denominations. i.e. $US currency ;)

5. Dude1010101

Dude1010101 Corporal

lol ima dumb ass

ok well if anyone finds u a PDA at that price...im bookmarking that cuz i want one with all them specs

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The only bad thing Kodo is that Windows Mobile OSes run like dogs on slow CPUs.

Processor - Samsung S3C2440 300 MHz

But, its all in what you want to do with it.

I have an Ipaq. That remote control app is hands down the best on any PDA.

Works on every device I've tried it on so far.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I heard that the samsung proc outperformed the xscale from intel?
    I don't have alot to spend. I'm thinking of getting two. One for me and my wife for valentines day. She has this shitty casio thing with like 4MB of RAM.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Oh my bad.

I have a POS Xscale 400mhz.

Maybe it does outperform. I dunno.

I think I'm gonna download an app to overclock mine to 500mhz :D

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Water cooled? :)

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, just a battery life measured in minutes instead of hours ;)

I don't think it will smoke it.

Think being a very weak word in this case.

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Don't forget to take pictures ;)

13. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You wont find an Axim for under 340 dollars.

Axims are one of the fastest--600+mhz.

For the life of me, i can't find a reiew saying Samsung is or isn't more effeicient/faster than Intel other than by raw mhz(533 vs. 400mhz, not overclocked).

15. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Wow..that Axim is nice.. 384 for the 624MHz.. I could plunk down the majority of it and only have 268 to pay off. I have a 50 dollar rebate coming to me and about 75.00 from a job I did.

hmmm... Kodo assumes "thinker" position..

16. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yea i have a friend with one they are awesome.

17. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

how does the screen hold up?

18. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

My friend has had his for about 6 months and it still looks as nice as it did on first start up

19. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Excellent.. I'm going to seriously consider this.
    After all my reading today (had day off), I wasn't thoroughly sold on the iPaq. I kept hearing about the poor screen durability and cracking screen after 4-6 months of use. Had me hemming and hawing about it.

20. repugnance

repugnance Private E-2

Howdy

just wondering if you ended up getting the axim an if so wat do you think of it?

21. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I got it, and I don't leave home without it. It's helped me in a pinch several times in ways I wouldn't have been able to substitute solutions for without it.

I am considering consolidation to one device (smart phone) because having a cell phone and PDA attached to my hip isn't exactly comfortable.

I do wish the battery life was a bit better when using wifi, but it's still pretty good regardless.

22. repugnance

repugnance Private E-2

Im currently looking for my first one so im new to how they work, i heard that if the battery dies you loose all your data as its RAM, in the specs for the axim they say it has flash memory, does this eliminate the issue of loosing data when the battery dies

23. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Well, ultimately, yes.. you lose all your stuff. There is a 30 minute backup battery incase your main battery gets drained 100%. I keep mine on the charger when I'm not using it and I keep the wifi OFF unless I need it. If I'm out and about, then I keep the unit off until I need to use it. Doing this gives me maximum battery life.

Now there are larger batteries but they increase the profile size of the unit and you'll need a new case to accomodate it.

There's also the option of using your own storage cards that won't lose data if your battery dies.

Visit www.aximsite.com and take an hour or so to read the info there. It's much more comprehensive; we could go back and forth all day with Q & A. They have it already done ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds