computers can see but not connect

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darkwing87, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Darkwing87

Darkwing87 Private E-2

so here is what happened

im setting up a home wireless network and all three computers can connect to each other. then i change the router and everything is still fine. finally i swap out the USB wireless adaptor on one of the computers and put in a wireless card, then it can only see the other computers but it can not connect to either of them, not just in my network places but there is no ping either. so i have no idea what happened. i installed the drivers and the card, as per the instructions.

the new router is a netgear 108 Mbps Wireless router
    the new card is a netgear 108 Mpbs Wireless PCI adaptor

any help would be greatly appreciated

~~DW

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Check your Firewall settings on both machines.

3. Darkwing87

Darkwing87 Private E-2

ther are no firewalls on an the machines and the problem computer cant ping the router either.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Have you tried by doing a repair on the IP? Also are you making sure that they have the same Workgroup name also?

5. Darkwing87

Darkwing87 Private E-2

they are in the same workgroup. the router even says that it is connected. but still no ping. how do i reapir the ip address

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

First thing is power everything down, then power up Modem, Router, then each computer after the Modem and Router Syncs. If they still are not seeing each other, check to see if 'Simple File Sharing' is enabled in Folder Options if using WinXP Pro. If home, then you will not have to do anything.

Also check your A/V product, especially if it is a "All-In-One" type product.

7. Darkwing87

Darkwing87 Private E-2

the rest of the network is fine it is just one computer. im pretty sure that when the driver was installed it changed a setting, and now this one computer is not connecting to the network. the router says that the computer is connected, the computer says that it is connected, but nothing can be pinged, not the other computers nor the router.

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Try this:

Automated troubleshooting
    For most issues that involve Internet connectivity, start by using the Network Diagnostics tool to identify the source of the issue. To use Network Diagnostics, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
    2. Click the link to Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems, and then click Network Diagnostics in the list on the left.
    3. When you click Scan your system, Network Diagnostics gathers configuration information and performs automated troubleshooting of the network connection.
    4. When the process is completed, look for any items that are marked "FAILED" in red, expand those categories, and then view the additional details about what the testing showed.
    You can either use that information to resolve the issue or you can provide the information to a network support professional for help. If you compare the tests that failed with the documentation in the Manual Troubleshooting section later in this article, you may be able to determine the source of the issue. To interpret the results for TCP/IP, expand the Network Adapters section of the results, and then expand the network adapter that failed the testing.

You can also start the Network Diagnostics interface directly by using the following command:
    netsh diag gui

Manual troubleshooting
    To manually troubleshoot your TCP/IP connectivity, use the following methods in the order that they appear:

Method 1: Use the IPConfig tool to verify the configuration

To use the IPConfig tool to verify the TCP/IP configuration on the computer that is experiencing the problem, click Start, click Run, and then type cmd. You can now use the ipconfig command to determine the host computer configuration information, including the IP address, the subnet mask, and the default gateway.

The /all parameter for IPConfig generates a detailed configuration report for all interfaces, including any remote access adapters. You can redirect IPConfig output to a file to paste the output into other documents. To do this, type:
    ipconfig > \folder_name\file_name
    The output receives the specified file name and is stored in the specified folder.

You can review the IPConfig output to identify issues that exist in the computer network configuration. For example, if a computer is manually configured with an IP address that duplicates an existing IP address that is already detected, the subnet mask appears as 0.0.0.0.

If your local IP address is returned as 169.254.y.z with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, the IP address was assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows XP Professional. This assignment means that TCP/IP is configured for automatic configuration, that no DHCP server was found, and that no alternative configuration is specified. This configuration has no default gateway for the interface.

If your local IP address is returned as 0.0.0.0, the DHCP Media Sensing feature override turned on because the network adapter detected its lack of connection to a network, or TCP/IP detected an IP address that duplicates a manually configured IP address.

1. Ping the loopback address to verify that TCP/IP is installed and correctly configured on the local computer. To do this, type the following command:
    ping 127.0.0.1
    If the loopback test fails, the IP stack is not responding. This problem may occur if any one or more of the following conditions is true:

• The TCP drivers are corrupted.
    • The network adapter is not working.
    • Another service is interfering with IP.

2. Ping the IP address of the local computer to verify that the computer was correctly added to the network. If the routing table is correct, this procedure just forwards the packet to the loopback address of 127.0.0.1. To do this, type the following command:

ping <IP address of local host>

If the loopback test succeeds but you cannot ping the local IP address, there may be an issue with the routing table or with the network adapter driver.

3. Ping the IP address of the default gateway to verify that the default gateway is working and that you can communicate with a local host on the local network. To do this, type the following command:

ping <IP address of default gateway>

If the ping fails, you may have an issue with the network adapter, the router or gateway device, the cabling, or other connectivity hardware.

4. Ping the IP address of a remote host to verify that you can communicate through a router. To do this, type the following command:

ping <IP address of remote host>

If the ping fails, the remote host may not be responding, or there may be a problem with the network hardware between computers. To rule out an unresponsive remote host, use Ping again to a different remote host.

5. Ping the host name of a remote host to verify that you can resolve a remote host name. To do this, type the following command:

ping <Host name of remote host>

Ping uses name resolution to resolve a computer name into an IP address. Therefore, if you successfully ping an IP address but you cannot ping a computer name, there is a problem with host name resolution, not with network connectivity. Verify that DNS server addresses are configured for the computer, either manually in the properties of TCP/IP, or by automatic assignment. If DNS server addresses are listed when you type the ipconfig /all command, try to ping the server addresses to make sure that they are accessible.

If you cannot use Ping successfully at any point, verify the following configurations:

• Make sure that the local computer's IP address is valid and that it is correct on the General tab of the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box or when it is used with the Ipconfig tool.

• Make sure that a default gateway is configured and that the link between the host and the default gateway is working. For troubleshooting purposes, make sure that only one default gateway is configured. Although you can configure more than one default gateway, gateways after the first gateway are used only if the IP stack determines that the original gateway is not working. The purpose of troubleshooting is to determine the status of the first configured gateway. Therefore, you can delete all the other gateways to simplify your task.

• Make sure that Internet Protocol security (IPSec) is not turned on. Depending on the IPSec policy, Ping packets may be blocked or may require security. For more information about IPSec, go to Method 7: Verify Internet Protocol security (IPSec).

Important If the remote computer that you are pinging is across a high-delay link such as a satellite link, response may take longer. You can use the -w (wait) parameter to specify a longer timeout period than the default timeout of four seconds.

Method 4: Use the Arp tool to clear the ARP cache

If you can ping both the loopback address (127.0.0.1) and your IP address but you cannot ping any other IP addresses, use the Arp tool to clear out the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) cache. To view the cache entries, type any one of the following commands:
    arp -a

arp -g
    To delete the entries, type the following command:
    arp -d IP address
    To flush the ARP cache, type the following command:
    netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Also try this:

netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

9. Darkwing87

Darkwing87 Private E-2

i cant make a log what is the complete code

is that the same log that i use in

netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

also i can ping the loopback and my computer but it stops at the router

i ran the network diagnostic and my computer failed:

Network adaptors-
    NETGEAR 108 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311T
    DefaultIPGateway = 192.168.1.1(Same Subnet)
    DHCPServer = 192.168.1.1
    DNSServerSearchOrder = 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers-

Default Gateways-

DHCP Servers-
    DHCPServer = 192.168.1.1

is this saying that my card isnt working right???

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It should be: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Do a ipconfig from a command window. Also use the Network Diagnostic tool from Help and Support.

11. Darkwing87

Darkwing87 Private E-2

i ran the network diagnostic and my computer failed:

Network adaptors-
    DHCPServer = 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers-

Default Gateways-

DHCP Servers-
    DHCPServer = 192.168.1.1

is this saying that my card isnt working right???

12. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you are getting the Gateway, then yes it is working. Pull the card, uninstall the drivers and attempt to reinstall.

13. Darkwing87

Darkwing87 Private E-2

i pulled the card and reinstalled everything, and nothing changed. and i still cant ping the router

14. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What other software is running on this particular machine?

When you pulled the card, did you uninstall the drivers also?

You could try a Winsock repair on this particular machine to see if it will fix it: http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet

The following steps might be useful in refreshing Unstable "Quirky" Network as well.

Link to: WinSockFix.

Link to: LSP-Fix.

If it did not help try to reset the TCP/IP Stack.

Link to: How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP.

15. Darkwing87

Darkwing87 Private E-2

ok so i woke up this morning and thought, "hmmm maybe it will work if i change routers." so i swapped the NETGEAR for the D-Link one that was previously hooked up and it worked. so is my computer messed up and thats why it cant ping the router. or is the router messed up???

16. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It could just be that the computers are messed up and Winsock needs to be repaired.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds