Learning how to use Linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by Creativeballance, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Creativeballance

Creativeballance Private First Class

I have fedora installed on my system, and I played around with it a bit when I first installed it, but I haven't really done anything with it. Anyone have any suggestions for me to do so I can really explore Fedora and learn how to use it? I'm also downloading a Ubuntu live CD right now to play with it.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: Learning how to use Lunix

Play with it, if you have the guts, make it a primary OS. You will learn it fairly quickly, then.

3. mig29

mig29 Private E-2

4. Creativeballance

I'm using the fedora boot loader at the moment, but I have Vista set to default. I installed the add-on for NTFS file systems so I could use it as my primary OS, but for some reason it only worked once. What takes place of MSConfig in fedora?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There is no msconfig type app in Linux. What add on did you install? Unless you have an ancient version of Fedora, it should support NTFS read/write on initial installation.

Forget what you know about Windows....msconfig and the likes...its all worthless to you in the Linux world.

6. Creativeballance

What do you use to manage start-up items with Fedora? Or does everything you install start automatically? I was using Fedora 7, and it wouldn't recognize NTFS. I used yum to download all packages with "NTFS" in it, and I was able to recognize my external drive and the other partitions of my drive only once. Maybe I just need to reinstall fedora....?

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I dont use Fedora. For the last year, Ive been using distros that support ntfs out of the box. Arch, Ubuntu, Sabayon, and Debian--they all supported it. My guess is, you didnt have your fstab set up correctly. Fedora 8 is the latest release, btw.

As for startup item managing, what desktop environment are you using??

As for daemons, aka services....

Have fun :D

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-manage-services.html

8. Creativeballance

Thanks for that! I think I'm using Gnome for my environment (I could be totally wrong, if so sorry). I think I'm just going to try out ubuntu as I have it on CD now....

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

In the gnome user account settings, there is an autostart section for apps.

10. Creativeballance

Thanks much for that! Have a good new year, btw!

11. loonacycle

loonacycle Private E-2

distros that support ntfs out of the box. Arch, Ubuntu, Sabayon, and Debian--they all supported it.

Say Addy...in all you get read/write ?

TIA

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes you do.

13. loonacycle

loonacycle Private E-2

How about FreeBSD ?

Between FreeBSD & Debian which is the best to really learn with ?

IE: Has the most books, docs, for online viewing.

Cheers

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, you are really looking at apples and oranges there. FreeBSD is Unix, whereas Linux is basically a Unix clone. You will find more software support for Debian; but both have quite a bit of documentation. Unless you are looking to run a server of sorts, I'd say Debian is more for you.

Not to say Debian can't be used for the same thing.

You might even be happier with Ubuntu, as its based off of Debian Sid, which is the unstable tree of Debian and is touted as cutting edge.

Debian development (stable tree, aka Etch) is slow compared to some distros. Stability is a huge thing in Debian,not so much the cutting edge. A mix of both woud be Debian Lenny, which is the testing tree of Debian.

I'm a cutting edge sort of guy, which is why Debian didnt hold my interest as much.

15. loonacycle

loonacycle Private E-2

I thank you Adrynalyne for your input.

Stable and Spartan is me.

Debian is looking more my style. Last evening a coworker recommended,openSUSE as a
    Windows replacement. Any opinion on that version of Linux ?

Thank you for your time.

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If stable and spartan is your thing, then Suse is out. Bloat, bloat, bloat.

17. fastjanow

fastjanow Private E-2

just want to thank you guys , after I followed your email I got it fixed WoW! and got some sleep....thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds