Programs open with notepad

Discussion in 'Software' started by Slinky, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Slinky

Slinky Private E-2

:confused: everytime i try to open a program (for example, word) it doesnt run like its supposed to, it just opens up notepad and all these weird words appear, im not that experienced with a computer, so i dunno how to make that stop, could someone help this clueless slinky???

2. Rataplan

Rataplan Private E-2

is it a window in word that opens notepad or notepad on itself?

3. Slinky

Slinky Private E-2

Sorry, my OS is...

um, my operating system is Microsoft Windows xp Home edition, 5.1.2600 well, its not only with word, it also happens with winamp, msn, acrobat, IM secure, and a bunch of other programs, i tried to open a file with notepad yesterday, so im thinking it has something to do with that:confused:

4. Rataplan

Rataplan Private E-2

heh, bizar prob

what does the shortcut from.. let's say.. winamp say? (right-click, properties --> what does start in say?)

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command

What are the vlues of these keys?

6. Slinky

Slinky Private E-2

Welll...i tried to scan my computer with norton antivirus but the thing also opens with notepad, i tried to open a file called 'perfectnav uninstall' because there's this page that kept trying to force its way into the internet explorer that was also called 'perfectnav', so i searched my computer to see why that happened, and i came accross this file, so im thinking maybe ill get rid of it this way... that was probably a mistake. Anyway i tried opening it but i couldnt, so i tried again with notepad and nothing happened so i said 'what the hell' and i deleted it. thats when this thing started. I had scanned my computer for viruses before this, while the damn thing was still haunting me but it always came up clean... :(

the shotcut from winamp says 'start in'"C:\Program Files\Winamp"

7. Slinky

Slinky Private E-2

i dont know if this matters, but this doesn happen with other users, for example, my brother did his homework logged into his own user and this didnt happen with him..... so im pretty sure i must've made a stupid mistake... :eek: im a stupid kid heh...

8. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Just checking

Have you tried system restore yet. and go back before you tweaked and messed around with the settings:)

9. Slinky

Slinky Private E-2

oh, great thanx, this is some useful stuff! i tried doing what it said in those pages, but everything opens up with notepad!:eek:

10. Slinky

Slinky Private E-2

how do i do system restore?? and what do you mean go back?

11. Zaar

Zaar Private E-2

Hi,

For system restore try this :
    Start - All programs - Accessories - System Tools - Sytem restore

12. Slinky

Slinky Private E-2

well this sucks. the system restore wizard ALSO OPENS UP WITH NOTEPAD!!!!

13. Rataplan

Rataplan Private E-2

14. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Rename regedit.exe to regedit.com and pleeeeeeease check the registry entries I provided.

I feel ignored :(

*Kicks a cat out of his way*

16. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

I'm with Adryn and Robo on this, Slinky.

You could have spyware and/or viruses, but ya gotta deal with this exe file problem first and then go on to the next issue.

17. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

18. highly_volatile

highly_volatile Private First Class

not sure if this can help but maybe opening my documents and clicking on tool / folder options / file types you might be able to change the file types there

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds