Urgent! re virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by oma, Feb 3, 2010.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

The message below was received by me from a very trusted person. If this is not the right forum, then admin please move it.

READ IMMEDIATELY PLS
    >
    > Get this sent around to your contacts ASAP....we don't need this
    > spreading around.
    >
    > Do not open any message with an attached file called 'Invitation'
    > regardless of who sent it, It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch
    > which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.
    >
    > This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in
    > his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all
    > your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to
    > receive the virus and open it.
    >
    > If you receive a mail called ' invitation' , though sent by a friend, do
    > not open it and shut down your computer immediately. This is the worst
    > virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most
    > destructive virus ever.

>
    > This virus was discovered by McAfee, and there is no repair yet for this
    > kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard
    > Disc, where the vital information is kept
    >
    > SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW ,
    >
    > COPY THIS E-MAIL AND SEND! IT TO YOUR FRIENDS
    >
    > AND REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

2. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Generally, if you receive an email telling you to immediately forward it to every single person you know, in and of itself it is either a virus or just annoying as hell spam.

However, it's easy enough to see if there is such a virus. Simply Google "Olympic torch virus" and see what comes up. Or you can search CNN and Microsoft for it, since they are mentioned by name in the email.

Just did a Google search myself, and the first 847 entries scream "HOAX!!!"

3. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Tux,

You beat me by three minutes!:wave:wave

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

Deng!! :-D :-o

But then the person who emailed me this message is a retired mgr of the biggest oil co. and is the president of the division's retirees' club. :-D He emailed all the retirees who have a computer. I know because I had to delete all the other addresses when I copied his message onto MG. He's supposed to be smarter than me. :-D :-D :-D :major

7. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Any scare monger email claiming that a terrible virus is going to destroy your computer or wipe C-drive are invariably of the "scary virus rumour" category.
    I get well-meaning, but ignorant friends sending me warnings like that fairly regularly. Always best to check the facts with sites like Snopes, and the official anti-virus sites first, before adding to rumour mongering, LoL;)

Although it's technically possible, viruses generally don't have the power to almost instantly completely wreck the computer. Maybe if left long enough they might corrupt C-drive, but then that's what Anti-virus and firewall progs. are for.

8. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Well, at least they're fairly harmless.

But, did you see that Microsoft email that MS will pay you for every person you send it to? One person got paid $24,800 for just a few hours work!! Now that's the type of deal I'm looking for!:-D:-D:-D

9. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol My uncle always sends me stuff like that, I alway reply the same way.

"You know the best way to spread a virus? Upload it to an email warning of a new SUPER VIRUS and tell the receiver to send it to everyone in their address book"

I also get emails from a friend telling me about terrible things like hypo needles on gas pumps in our area and missing children etc, go to snopes and send her the link.

Funny thing is, she still sends me crap like that, I blocked her at one point, that was funny :-D

10. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thanks to you all who alerted me that it was a hoax and for the website. Meanwhile I've replied to the gent who emailed me (and a whole bunch of other retirees) that it's a hoax. Guess now it's up to him to inform everyone else of that. :)

Luckily I only forwarded the email to my daughter prior to posting here, so not too much damage done.

Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds