Linux & Nforce 2 - Anyone?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Major Attitude, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I have Red Hat installed, it appars to see the Nforce network card, I have installed the drivers from CD. It wont let me connect to the internet. I went through internet configuration and no luck. When trying to enable the device, which it sees and says is ok, it refuses to enable it. Being a bit of a Linux newbie, I am missing something here.

Thanks in advance.

2. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Never used Linux myself, but have a NForce2 board. When mine arrived, I found the settings in BIOS were set to Disabled initially for the On-Board network. Showed up in Windows and everything, but use was disabled. May be your is the same. Worth a try.

3. Major Attitude

Im using the Nforce networking for the internet now, the 3com is disabled..

4. Philipp

Philipp Administrator Staff Member

Which drivers did you install? On the nForce download page are two drivers for Red Hat 8.0 available:

1) NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.rh80up_2.4.18_14.athlon.rpm (for Kernel 2.4.18-14)
    2) NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.rh80up_2.4.18_17.athlon.rpm (for Kernel 2.4.18-17)

It is important to know which Kernel packages are actually installed on your machine.

Run as root the follow command and post the output here:
    rpm -qa | grep kernel

The good news: It seems like Kernel 2.4.20 (included in the upcoming Red Hat 8.1) has already native nForce 2 support.

5. Major Attitude

Phillip,
    I would have emailed you directly, but know your busy, thanks man! :)

I installed NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0241.rh73up_2.4.18_5.athlon.rpm from the CD.

Ill try the new ones!

Normally, I dont care what support an OS system has, but that OS is usually Microsoft, so I get a bit lost. Should have seen me with Lindows, which does not support RPM, so I had to get Alien, and finally decide Lindows simply still sucks.

6. Philipp

This driver is for Red Hat 7.3 with Kernel 2.4.18-5. It is always important to keep kernel and driver in sync.

Actually, Lindows based on Debian GNU/Linux, which has a better package manager, that Red Hat Linux. See 4) in http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2240 to get this working.

For packages check out:
    http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
    http://www.apt-get.org

However, I recommend a real Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 installation and a good Debian book instead of Lindows ;)

7. Major Attitude

Does 8.1 Beta 3 have it included? Im just toying with it, so I have no problem installing a beta...

8. Philipp

9. Major Attitude

Im on it, thanks!

10. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

It's 'better' because of the _execellent_ dependicies handling (I admire it evfen :)) but the only problem the software in Sid is old because it takes a while to get dependicies working adn to get new software to work you have to use Unstable which defeats the purpose. oh, and apt-get cow :D. Truly I think FBSD ports rock! =) (/me also likes Slackware .tgz's). I also like ARP! :D

11. Philipp

Running current here Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (stable) with XFree 4.2.1 and GNOME 2.2 with XFT fonts & Bluecurve theme ;)

There is no need to use an experimental Debian distribution like SID (unstable) because there are so many good backports available for Debian 3.0: GNOME 2.2, KDE 3.1, XFree 4.2.1, OpenOffice 1.0.2, Evolution 1.2.2, Kernel 2.4.20 etc.

For more packages do a search at www.apt-get.org :)

12. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Bah, FBSD ports are still awesome :D

Plus, I am all for unstable, I just compiled 2.5.62, Kernel panic in the first second of boot time :D. You may say "boot to your older kernel", my other kenl kernel panicked as well :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds