software for laptop H/W diagnostics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by law909, Mar 4, 2009.

1. law909

law909 Private E-2

Hi All,

I've got an old laptop with a busted screen (somebody hit it with a guitar - don't ask!). The HDD on it was pretty much gone, well I was using it in a portable enclosure but it's now pretty much given up the ghost. It does hook up to a monitor ok tho, and (I think) even booted from the CD into Barts boot Disk as some point (this all happened a while ago, so my memory is a bit foggy). What I was wondering is if anyone can recommend any good s/w for running diagnostics on the remaining H/w (CPU, Motherboard, graphics and memory) so I can try and figure out if it's fried before I go out and buy a new screen & charger. Ideally it would be on a bootable CD, as It doesn't currently have a HDD (although I do have a spare), and even more preferably would just run a series of tests so i could leave it on overnight. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You did use the words "old laptop" which leaves me thinking along the same lines as the above post.... if it's more than a year or two old, spending more than $150 or $200 MAXIMUM would be a waste. You can try using the UBCD; it's full of general diagnostics for hard drives, RAM, etc. There's an app called PC-Check by EuroSoft but it's not free, and it's not cheap. The UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) can be downloaded from this link. I'm pretty sure the download is an ISO file which you'd burn as an image to a CD, then boot to it.
    :-D Good luck!

4. law909

law909 Private E-2

Thanks guys - i'm in the UK but could probably pick up a laptop for cheapish here, it's more of a project(Curious as to what PC Repair shops do when you take a system in with a H/W fault) and to save a (mainly/possibly) "working" laptop from going to waste. I saw a new screen on eBay for £60 so it doesn't seem like too bad a deal, assuming everything else is working. I've already got the UBCD, never really used it before, but i'm sure google will point me in the right direction. Thanks again, if I remember (or more likely get stuck) i will let you know how I get on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds