reboot every time i get online

Discussion in 'Software' started by zlaughin, Jul 6, 2004.

1. zlaughin

zlaughin Private E-2

i have a window xp pro machine that every time i get online it reboot's after 2 minutes it give's a windows nt shutdown message i reformated the hard drive i've flashed the bios and it still gives the windows nt shutting down message and re boot it's dell dimintion 4600 2.6ghz. 256Meg of ram

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Note that reformatting did actually get rid of it. You just got it again after reinstalling.

5. yturieow

yturieow Private E-2

And make sure you install all current patches, before you connect to the internet (after you reformat again) or you'll get it again. If you don't have a backup cd with the patches you'll need to use a different machine to download and burn them.

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

If you can't do that (it's fairly annoying) then install a firewall program such as ZoneAlarm Free or Sygate Personal before you connect to the Internet.

7. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

that happened to me, got reinfected with the sasser worm before i was able to protect my system after a reformat.

8. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

i dont think so. if you completely wipe ur hard drive, u get shut of everythin, bugs n all dont u? but i made the silly mistake of connecting my cable modem before puttin any firewalls or antivirus on my pc and wahay withing 5 mins i got the sasser and was shut down.

9. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Worrying ! Are you-all saying that a clean reformat does not get rid of the buggers - ie that we now have a situ where the nasties defy formatting and stay lodged on the hard drive?? If so we are all in deep trouble. Please more explanation is required. In the meantime I will rush out a buy a new hard drive just in case!!!
    Cheers
    Robert

10. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

buy me one too just in case lol

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

No, this is not the case. When you format, it destroys all data including the nasties. However, on a default install of Windows XP (one that is not slipstreamed ..will explain later) there is a security hole that is wide open to unpatched and un-firewalled PC's. This hole requires no action from the user. It only requires that the windows PC be ON, windows loaded and the computer connected to the internet.

Many of us are either firewalled and are protected (by a router) that doesn't allow the worm to attack our machines during install and others have built an installation CD with the servicepacks and patches configured in such way as they install during the initial install. This is called slip-streaming.

12. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

r u calling me ignorant? and im not being sarcastic!

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Stop it..

read my post above yours nickson..

14. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

stop wot, i was writing my thread when u wer submittin urs, wot have i done wrong?

15. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

this petty stuff.. not necessarily you but it all needs to just stop. Focus on the question and answers. I will remove any posts here that are not on topic.

16. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

OK I apologize maybe im a little over sensitive today.
    sorry to anyone and everyone i may have offended.

17. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

that's the problem.. people jump to conclusions. I see it all the time.. at least one participant is not able to let it go before it gets started. So I'm just doing my job as a MODERATOR :)

as for MBR, do an fdisk/mbr to be sure.. but when you format, the data is destroyed. There is no index for it in the FAT.

18. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

Just help me, yesterday i reformatted my pc cos i had lots of viruses, i booted from my xp disk and formatted and reinstalled xp, i scanned for viruses and none were found does this mean it completely got shut of the nasties?

19. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Thank You All - problem answered - thats the reason I visit 'ere
    Cheers from wintry Canberra
    Robert

20. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

depding on how good your virus scanner is, then I'd say there is a high probability that you are clean. But you should Install ALL service packs and ALL patches to make sure that you don't get nailed.

21. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

Congratulations.... glad its sorted.

22. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

I use avast from off major geeks and zone alarm, as for the service packs sp1 from microsoft? and them patches are they them microsoft critical updates?

23. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yes, all critical updates. As long as you have those installed along with SP1 and you scan clean, then I'd give you a clean bill of health.

24. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

Thanx mate;)

25. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I disagree with this. on an unconditional format, ALL data on the disk is destroyed.

26. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

whats the difference between a format and an unconditional format?

27. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

spot on in what I normally do....... also I now keep a spare 20g HD with a few Images/Clones of my XP install in various states from Clean install to installed with all apps and tweaks... saves installing everything from scratch PLUS bonus it only takes 30mins +/- to recover a full image of everthing I have installed on MY os drive.

another option is to partition your HD with a smallish partition and dump all drivers, MS updates and MS security updates onto it so in the event of something nasty happening..... you dont need to attach to the net before all the critical updates are done thus saving yourself from being infestated again ;)

28. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

ok this is actually a two part answer..

part 1.
    When doing a format with , say, a win98 boot floppy the common option chosen is
    FORMAT C:\
    which semantically is the same as an uncondition format because format /U is the default
    This erases ALL files from the drive

Using the format /Q switch is a quick format and only erases the FAT (File allocation table or logically speaking, your File Index). The files are technically there on the drive still but the OS has no Index of where they are.

part 2.
    During a clean install of Windows XP there are 5 options. ..

• Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
    • Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
    • Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
    • Format the partition by using the FAT file system
    • Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
    The only difference in THIS scenario is that the QUICK formats DO NOT check for bad sectors but BOTH regular and quick erase ALL files from the disk.

29. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

I neva choose a quick format, cos i always thought it didnt sound thorough.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds