Windows Explorere has stopped working problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by bexatious, Sep 17, 2007.

1. bexatious

bexatious Private E-2

Sony Vaio SZ680, Vista Business 32bit, 2.4GHz.

I am constantly getting a popup box saying 'Windows Explorer has stopped working, Windows is checking for a solution to the problem' then a second box pops up and says 'Windows Explorer is restarting'. Explorer restarts itself (my taskbar closes and then opens a few seconds later and all my Explorer windows close) and everything is fine. If I open Windows Explorer again it's fine, but when I close out of Control Panel or my Users folder the error message appears and the loop begins again. When I leave a window open for an undefined period of time, it also resets itself as described above.

I've done a lot of searching online and many people have similar problems and blame Malware in their system. I've run multiple scans with the AVG spyware and virus programs and found nothing. I've also read through the Microsoft forums and it seems to be the same. This is my last resort - I cannot think of anything else to do to solve this problem!

Please, please help. I am so frustrated, and concerned that there is a deeper issue that Virus scanners can't find. I cannot remember the exact date and time when it began but my laptop is only a week old and the problem has been getting steadily worse.

Log below:

I have edited your post, as "Open" log files cause the Sites Filters to not post your post. Please enclose Log Files in an "Attachment" like I have done for you Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2007
  2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

SORRY YOU HAVE ie7, back soon

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As you say, there are many instances where spyware/malware is thought to be connected with this. This is why I delayed, in giving my suggestions.
    I have tried to give as much useful help as I can, as I am no Malware expert, and if none work for you , perhaps someone else will come along and help you more.
    You can go to system restore (f8 - safe mode) and go back a few days before this started happening - sometimes it will not go the easy way, and you are unable to, but , if you close all programs, and you can press ctrl+alt+del to bring up task manager, click new task, and tpe in msconfig.In tools in msconfig tick system restore, click the launch button.
    It is also worth the old fixer sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc) with your Vista cd in the rom drive to fix corrupted files.
    CHKDSK /R , from the run box is also worth the effort.
    These are programs could eliminate spyware, if you have not already got them
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=903----trojan remover 30 day trial, but works
    http://majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_2007_d506.html
    http://majorgeeks.com/BitDefender_RootkitUncover_d5157.html

Also add ins to explorer- like google toolbar, and adobe, have caused problems in other versions of Windows, so IO would say to disable add ins in Explorer, to see if that stops it - if not re-enable them (manage add ins

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds