car troubles are a pain to have

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by obnoxious, Oct 27, 2007.

1. obnoxious

obnoxious Corporal

It started about a week ago. I heard a high pitched screem that would come and go. I thought maybe it was due to the weather and cold season comming on. Then my son borrowed my truck to move a new sofa he had bought at a going-out-of-business sale.When he brought it back he said 'your brakes are worn and rubbing metal to metal'. Well the next day Saturday On my way to the coffee shop ,I listened and didn't hear anything. So I figured it was just the weather. It does effect some trucks. The rest of the week was ok ,no noyze (sic) or anything out of the ordinary
    until Friday when all of a sudden I heard the worst godawful grinding you could imagine. Wow I said .After I had my coffee and returned home I inspected where the noyze came from and this is what I found

[​IMG]
    Like having a bad dream and waking up to find you're not sleeping
    [​IMG]

Right front brake rotor is only half there. How in the h___ did that happen :confused without my hearing it? I aint figured that out yet.It's going to cost about $400 to repair it. New rotors,brakes, calipers and bearings and labor.
    Today my son replaced everything and it only cost me $187.00 due to the fact he used some of his influence with area parts stores and he does a lot of business with them being a State Certified Automotive Mechanic.
    I did try to make it worth his while but had to yell at him to accept it.:D
    just wasting time today with nothing to do.
    :wave

2. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Thank God no one had an accident. Glad you finally sorted that out.:)

3. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Glad you are alright :)

Handy having a mechanic in the family, even if they do forget your Birthday ;)

4. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Same thing happen to a friend of mine but on the left front he burned up everything. I told him like amonth before to replace his pads because they were getting bad but he did not so by time he got to my other friends shop he had no breaks because it also burned up the break line causing it to lose all breaking power and everything else (i.e. caliper, wheel bearing and so on). Thank god the old man drives slow or else he would of been in trouble when the breaks gave out.

5. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

That brake has been metal to metal for a few weeks. You must have been close to blowing the piston out of the caliper with that kind of wear.

6. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

my nephew totaled his 3rd car this year on friday night:eek: his insurance company are now refusing to insure him again for some reason:D

7. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Thats unrecognizable, glad it turned out ok. Didn't hear a thing, huh? WOW

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds