''this site may be hacked''

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nexus_, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

What exactly constitutes this message for it to appear in a search engine?

I remember a couple of weeks ago i was seeing it on the manjaro website as well

Attached Files:

2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and thanks for highlighting this, I have pinged Tim/Jim to have a look at this.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

We don't know but its BS. We have contacted Google. Last time it took months.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.majorgeeks.com/

6. DavidGP

Looks as if one side of Google is not talking to the other.

7. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Yeah we spent a bit of Sunday on this and have written them. Of course they pull this BS on a holiday weekend and getting Google to respond is ... well.. rare.

The link there says to go to your webmaster tools for and explanation and... There is none. Zero. Nada. Then there is no real place to reply to them. Eventually we hunted down maybe the correct mail.

We've been down this road before - last time it was a hacked Google ad that Google distributed over thousands of sites. We informed them and they blasted "hacked" warnings in the same manner. It took forever to clean that mess.

We could write a book on this stuff.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      48.7 KB
      Views:
  8. DavidGP

Cheers Jim for the update.

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Some of the recent ads on the site seemed suspicious to me.

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can't wait for Google's "reason".rolleyes

I just checked Yahoo!, bing, ixquick and StartPage. No such false warning.

BTW Gizmo's Freeware is almost obsessed with checking every website with VirusTotal and WOT. They have a list of recommended sites. The last time I looked, MajorGeeks was at the top of the list...

Just checked with VirusTotal. 0 / 62
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/e...b68413581120acf889f46121/analysis/1424195988/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  11. Corporal Punishment

Google never gives a reason -- and sometimes sanity doesn't prevail. For example, for months they indicated to us that Cleanmem is a virus. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/cleanmem.html It isn't and I sent them the virus total report. https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...05e1a60d219f8aa38b33f701166925cdeea/analysis/ 2 scanners has it tagged -- ByteHero and TheHacker - both are known false positive meccas. Well, seems those are the ones Google uses because they wont remove it and won't say why.

So we are at an impass... We're right. They are wrong. They won't talk about it.

Hell - Last year we have a blogspot site copy almost our entire forum. It took 7 MONTHS for them to correct the problem. man, if Tim and I tried to pull that crap we'd be out of business in 7 days.

Oh - BTW Eldon, we are freaks about scanning. As near as we know we are the first download site to start virus scanning and quality testing everyone of our files -- going back 15 years. Tim has to reinstall windows weekly because of it. ;)

12. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's things like this that make people hate the Big Corporations. I know Google will never give a reason. Instead it will be an excuse drafted by lawyers.

Searching for MajorGeeks on Yahoo!, bing, ixquick and StartPage, and checking the site with VirusTotal, took me about 5 minutes. And I did it from a basic PC in South Africa. Sharing my experience with Google? I might as well burp in a thunderstorm thinking someone will hear me.

Keep up the good work, at least the thousands of members of, and visitors to MajorGeeks are in the know. :major

13. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

True that. I know of no other site that takes such care with the software it offers . . . I had been lurking these pages long before I created a user account. I owe much, if not most, of what knowledge I have of computers and software to this site, and I have recommended it to legions of others. I have absolutely no doubt MajorGeeks is free of issue and Google is 100% wrong. Period dot.

14. Corporal Punishment

So.... To give you an idea of what it is like to deal with Google. They accuse us of being hack with no explanation - very publicly. No real way to contact them. We spend countless hours doing research on the problem and find nothing.

I finally write through the webmaster tools interface that basically we have no idea what they are talking about and no place anywhere - including Google's own reporting - indicates anything of any issue at all. I asked to provide me proof of what they were accusing us of.

Today I get a note ...."Congratulations! Google has received and processed your malware review request. We did not detect any malware on your site."

But of course no mention of what started the whole mess... #donoharm, my a&&

I should get more pissed off, but this is the problem with "security" these days. Automated false positives rule the web.

Attached Files:

15. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

From the sounds of it google might just flag it again next week for the heck of it

16. DavidGP

Google is god in some folks eyes but are they?

"To google" for a search comment is that right, should the common phrase be "to search" over "to google it", great marketing to fool everyone to use the term "to search " as "google it"

They are not right in many searches, personally I prefer Bing or Clusty Clusty is awsome as it filters searches, to narrow down things.

17. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

They did. It was gone for a week and back again.

18. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

I quit using Google years ago because of their, ...well,...arrogance...

Use Bing...

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Automated tools have no concept of arrogance.

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It is one of these tools who cannot read about opt-in software reporting the site.

As long as someone keeps doing that and Google requires a stupidly low amount of reports, this will keep happening, IMO.

21. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Oh, I don't know: in Isaac Asimov's Caliban (1993) (by Roger MacBride Allen) the robot Ariel masqueraded as a "normal" Three-Law robotic brained machine, assaulted a human and then covered up the crimes - all pretty deviously arrogant actions for a tin can on wheels...

'Course, I ain't comparing her to Google - I'd rather have Ariel, myself...;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds