trouble with the format of yahoo.groups

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by alterintel, Mar 1, 2015.

1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

MG and most forums I go on have well organized formats, with a page such as the one MG has that has the subject classifications with the posts under each. This allows one to see at a glance what is going on on the forum, what replies one has, so on. MG has the best forum, and when I go from it to the group I just joined on yahoo, it is like night and day. My pet was just diagnosed with an illness, and that is what this yahoo group helps with. There is no page like the one I described, and it is difficult to find replies, posts, so on. I just clicked on a reply and it disappeared. I was relying on this group, and what with the stress I have been under, I am too tired to keep spending hrs. trying to use this group. And it is a great group, and when I visited it years ago it was easy to navigate.
    I am wondering if anyone else has had trouble with yahoo groups?
    alterintel

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can you provide a link to the group?

3. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Eldon,
    Its my understanding that all of yahoo's groups have the same format I guess you'd call it. I don't want to seem to bad mouth my group. They are wonderful, but the owners of the group have to follow the yahoo group format. You have to be a member of yahoo and sign in to go to a group, so I don't know how a link would help. I just thought some other mg members might be in a yahoo group and could comment.
    You could just go to yahoo and join and go to their groups.
    alterintel

4. Eldon

I have a Yahoo! account. I just visited two groups, no sign-in required. To post, one will have to join the group. I'm trying to experience for myself what problem(s) you might have. If it's with the format, I suggest you contact the owner.

MajorGeeks is in a class of it's own. Everything just works right.

Message me the name of the group. I'm leaving in 30 minutes.

5. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Eldon,
    Thanks for the offer. My understanding is that all yahoo groups have to have the same format. You are right, MG is the best, as I said. However, I am in other groups and they all have the main page where you can see at a glance what is going on . Yahoo groups are doing something called conversations, which is what they call posts, and you have to hunt around and even then can't see who is doing what very well or at all. Maybe you are younger than I and this is not so hard for you. But I want a lot of different opinions and research; the group I am in is purpose driven to help manage a particular illness; not social. I need research, history, so on. I am not comfortable giving the name of the group. It's format is the same as all of the others according to my info. Are you happy with the yahoo group format, the thing where you only see individual 'conversations' of the day?

6. Eldon

Ok.
    I was a member of the Tiebusters group. It's purpose was to vote for answers on Yahoo! Answers to resolve unresolved questions. The group has closed because the voting format of Yahoo! Answers was changed. Anybody could have joined. Likewise, anybody can start a group.You have a reason not to message me the name of the group, and I'm going to leave it there.

No, I was not happy with the format. But, there's nothing anybody can do about it. Yahoo!, like Google, Facebook, etc., do as they please simple because the 'services' they provide doesn't cost us anything. I do not always agree with this atitude however, I can go elsewhere.

Just a thought... Have you considered another forum?

http://www.answers.com/Q/FAQ/2885

Also, you can ask questions about Yahoo! Groups on Yahoo! Answers.

https://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index?sid=396546285

I do hope you find a solution. Pets are invaluable.

7. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Eldon,
    Good to know that you also didn't like the new yahoo format for the groups. I thought I missed something or lacked some knowledge, so on.
    The group I am in is an old group that is serious and highly knowledgeable about the disease they help people with. It has a large membership. They have done wonderful work for many years, and their compassion has given many, including myself, hope and comfort. So I want to be careful of their reputation. It isn't their fault that yahoo has demanded an unworkable format for their groups. With my current level of stress and so much to do, I may have to try to find another group, tho I know there isn't one as good. But I have already spent hours hunting around for things on their site, and that is frustrating when it is something you really need, and you simply can't find it. Not to mention the time element.
    alterintel

8. Eldon

As a last resort, contact the owner(s) of the group. They are usually helpful. Explain to them your situation, and ask advice to better use the group. There's always a way around the fence...

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I never go Yahoo Groups as its eclectic at best, I think if your pet has an illness you need to NOT use an internet group to diagnose as they are woeful at best with in general what you can search on the web over medical advice, unless as you mention they are an experienced group.

My advice is if you like a specific group and you all chat use LinkedIn for a private group on that as its much more robust a platform than Yahoo, I use this platform for contacts at MSFT and my Ophthalmology contacts for my main work. Its more professional based networking group, so worth a try with your group.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds