need help finding a video driver please

Discussion in 'Software' started by wizardcat, Feb 17, 2004.

1. wizardcat

wizardcat Private E-2

i got a new game and the mouse doesn't work well when you try to play the game. i was told i need a new video card driver. i need to know what this is where to find one that will work with my computer and what one i need can anyone please help me with this? i'am not very good with computers so if you could be very detailed i'd be very greatful. this is what i know s3 graphies prosavageDDR,emachine with windows xp hope this helps you to help me.

2. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

3. Darksoul

Darksoul Private E-2

S3 ProSavageDDR

i got the same thing as wizard and i have been to that page and got some of that but i find it useless.

can this card be tweaked? over clocked?

i play medal of honor allied assault .and usually get fps's from 1 to at the most 15fps
    i rarely get higher execpt when im dead or i look up in the air or straight down then my fps gets to 30 or 40 fps.

aside from getting a new video card do you have any suggestions or know any way to light a fire up under this card so it'd get better?

(is it just me or is this video card the suckyiest one ever made)
    -thanks for the help

4. Darksoul

Darksoul Private E-2

is there any help?

i have been throught the whole fourms already
    maybe im just blind?

5. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

hi darksoul
    sorry dont know much about that card maybe you could have a look here this is an awesome site
    http://www.guru3d.com/

6. Darksoul

Darksoul Private E-2

thanks for the reply that waz fast
    i'll check that site out

ok i checked it out and seen nothing for the card i got all i seen is for gforce,nivida,ati, and radieon

i do have a PC Power Strip (3.49 Build 438)
    i can turn the engine clock up but it seems i have no memory on my card
    and that is all i seem o be able to do
    (don't know what else to do with it)

(Also i have tried a thing on here called Game Gain/Game Accelerator 2.0
    and it messed up my configs for my game.....just so you know so you don't tell me to try that)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2004
  7. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Sorry Darksoul... about the only thing that could produce even a minute performance increase for you would be the latest drivers.

The s3 Prosavage DDR is an Integrated graphics chipset on your motherboard. It uses System RAM as its own, which is why you notice that the card itself shows that it has "no ram". Overclocking your system (graphics chipset included) may give you a few FPS here and there.... but for the most part, that chip was just not designed to meet the needs of todays games.

on the bright side, decent video cards are getting cheaper and cheaper. I dont know what motherboard you have, or if it has an AGP slot, but if it does, upgrading is the only way to improve your setup.

good luck

8. Darksoul

Darksoul Private E-2

yes it has a AGP slot so i can upgrade it
    but as i thought you can't reall do anything for the pro savage

now all i gotta do is find a card to buy and put it in and not have to take it back lol

~thanks for the info

9. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

The newer Emachines machines are actually decent, if its a year or two old they made some really, really cruddy systems, probably some of the worst out there if you made a list, just FYI. For gaming if it isnt ATI or Nvidia, you may have troubles. These 2 are constantly competing in the last couple of years and have the best image quality, speed and driver support out there of any of the other cards.

Also, as InYearsToCome said, your machine uses your computer memory as video ram, so you might want to try memory upgrades first. Upgrade the ram to 512 megs, then go into your BIOS and try and dedicate 64-128 megs to the card, by default it is probably 32. Also, if its a Celeron processor, it also uses system memory so 128-256 megs is about as good as having 64 megs since your system is robbing it for video and processor before it even gets to the software.

Remember you may do all this and it may suffer from simply a lousy videocard. Every machine when tweaking has a bottleneck, the question is, is yours memory or video... Or both?

10. Darksoul

Darksoul Private E-2

thanks for al the help guys i appreciate it ... i went out and bought/installed a
    Asylum GeForce FX5200 Ultra and MAJOR improvement just what i wanted
    my problem/question is now solved
    (in 2 months i will have my emachine for 1 year)

it cost $100 bucks im real glad about spending it for this card now (not overclocked or anything ) and i am very happy with it.

~thanks again for all you who responed to my question

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds