Computer won't shut all the way off ...

Discussion in 'Software' started by digger58, Mar 10, 2007.

1. digger58

digger58 Private E-2

Hello ,
    I gave my emachine 256 mem computer to my hubby so he could play games . Well , really one particular game , a flight simulator , and ever since he loaded it , it bogged it right down . The puter was in very good working condition when I gave it to him . I had stealthed out my ports , have AVG and Z/A , Spyware Guard , etc. so I have no spyware , adware , viruses , etc. on the puter .

He has only been on this puter maybe 10 times in the 2 months he has had it playing with this Flight thing and he defrags everytime he gets off as it seems to speed things up he says .

Two days ago , he went to shut it off but it won't shut off . I fired it up and it fires up ok , but has a little screen saying Power Surge on port (?) and to disconnect whatever is in there and reset . There is nothing in there ,, but he DID have ,, but I can't seem to reset . I got rid of the little screen by just hiding it for right now as it is very anoying while I'm trying to fix this .

My question is , are these two problems related ? And , how can I fix the computer not turning off once I shut it down ? The light stays lit on the cpu and the fan to the power supply stays running . Never did before two days ago , or better put , never had any probs until hubby got his hands on it and installed that Flight Simulator ! :D

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome:)Power surge on port could be a usb overload protection has he connected forcefeedback flightstick recently?If so Try disconnecting it and also updating your usb drivers,post your specs as much info as possible are you using windows XP have you updated to service pack 2?

Are you using a surge protector on your AC?Is he using a surge protector?

3. digger58

digger58 Private E-2

Thank you for replying ! Sorry , yes I'm running Windows XP Home on computer , there are six ports , but nothing plugged into them now . Yes , he had his flight simulator plugged into one port the other day , but not now . However it keeps saying to remove whatever is plugged into port , nothing is plugged in . I have done all updates including SP2 . I have not tried to update usb drivers , will try that next . He was not using a surge protector . I have hooked one up for him now , possibly too late , I hope not . Computer fires up and runs ok though , just won't turn off on shut down .

4. digger58

digger58 Private E-2

Took alot of " process of elimination " , but found the prob and took care of it . Thanks everyone for the replies . Thanks Rikky , I found the prob in Device Manager and disabled it . Thank you for turning me in that direction !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds