internet connection keeps dropping in W7

Discussion in 'Software' started by anmackay, Nov 16, 2009.

1. anmackay

anmackay Private E-2

Hi
    I have upgraded from Vista 64 bit system to Windows 7 64 bit. When I put my computer to sleep it disconnects my internet connection. I get the message 'unidentified network..no network access'. I have set up a public network on Windows 7. Anything I can do to stop this happening? I have had my line checked by BT and everything is OK there.
    AM :(

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

When I first installed my clean copy of Win7 X64 Home Premium, I also was dropping the internet connection about every 20min or so, and it would reconnect after about 4-5min. And this had nothing to do with sleep or hibernation or standby or anything, it just happened while surfing, while idling, whenever. Very frustrating. HOWEVER- there is a fix for this issue (at least it worked for me). There's an update from Microsoft that takes care of it. I think this is the update:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974431
    I'm not 100% sure 'cuz I'm at work and I have the info at home. If that doesn't fix the problem (install the latest Win7 drivers for your ethernet and chipset first, then install the update and restart the PC when the install is done), simply go to Windows update and if you don't want to install all the updates, look for one that is described as an "update that improves reliability, compatibility, and stability of Windows 7" or something real close to that. Like I said, it worked perfectly for me!
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

[dlb]

3. anmackay

anmackay Private E-2

Hi dlb
    Many thanks for that..I am reading the Microsoft blurb from your link at work and will try it later on when I get home.
    Alistair:)

4. anmackay

anmackay Private E-2

Hi dlb
    I did what you said about the drivers for the ethernet. From Device Manager I installed the newest drivers which turned out to be the one that was running anyway. The Microsoft upgrade was alrweady on my computer. However after installing the same driver it seems to be working OK :-D
    However it may be too soon to claim victory as I will wait and see over 2 or 3 days. You can tell my glass is always half empty can't you!!!!:-o
    Thanks again
    Alistair Mackay

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds