Wireless network wont connect to laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dynasty10001, Jun 11, 2006.

1. dynasty10001

dynasty10001 Private E-2

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop that can't connect to my wireless network. I have 2 other computers connected and both of them are desktops. One is connected wirelessly and the other is not. The one that is connected wirelessly works perfectly and is running windows 98SE. The other desktop rus widows XP Pro with service pack 2 and the Laptop Runs Windows XP home with service pack 2. I have a D-link-614+ wireless router and my laptop has a D-link air plus DWL-650+ PCI Card. The laptop recognizes that there is a network in range but can't connect to it. Also I tried connecting it by using a ethernt cable and it says it Has limited or no conectivity(in this case it was No connectivity). I've tried reinstaling the drives on the laptop and had no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Post back the ipconfig for one that connects and one that doesn't ....(start / run / cmd / (ipconfig /all) without brackets ....hit print screen ...open paint (under accessories and paste) ...:)

3. dynasty10001

dynasty10001 Private E-2

This is the working IP config

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\cody>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : steier
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-6E-6D-79-B3
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 11, 2006 2:38:33 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 18, 2006 2:38:33 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\cody>

-----------------------------------

This is the laptops IP config

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\charles>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DELL
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-1F-53-D8
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.115.213
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . .:Media Disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . :D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ WirelessCardbus Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :00-0D-88-8A-04-23

C:\Documents and Settings\charles>

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

It appears that the ethernet connection in your example shows that the ethernet adapter did not receive addresses from a DHCP request.

Make sure your ethernet cable is connected to the proper port on the modem/router then right click on the connection and select disable then enable. Then do an ipconfig and see if your addresses change for that adapter. If so, see if you can connect to the Internet. You have two problems and I'm just trying to look at one of them.

5. TimW

And if that doesn't work ....right click on the local connection and manually set the properties ....tcp/ip ....properties ...manually set ip address to 192.168.0.101 and subnet to 255.255.255.0 dns server to 192.168.0.1

6. dynasty10001

dynasty10001 Private E-2

I tried Disableing and Enabling the Local Area connection and there was no change in the ipconfig. When i tried manually setting the Ip adress and all that stuff it says its connected to the network but I can't connect to the internet or to the other computers.

7. TimW

One thing not mentioned yet .....are all the computers in the same workgroup? (Rright click on my computer and properties and make them all part of the same network ....be it workgroup ....yourname .....etc.)

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Leave the static settings as TimW suggested

Do a START | RUN | CMD

in the command window enter nslookup then enter at the ">" prompt type www.complete-cs.com then enter. It should come back with NAME: www.complete-cs.com and ADDRESS: 64.38.7.186. If not, you are not resolving addresses. Let us know what you get back.

9. dynasty10001

dynasty10001 Private E-2

The Laptop and the Desktop that isn't wireless are part of the same workgroup but the wireless desktop isn't.

When I typed in nslookup and then the www.complete-cs.com it said:

Server: Unknown
    Address 192.168.0.1

It also said "DNS request time out. timeout was 2 seconds." right after typing nsloookup and twice at the very end.

10. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Well, that certainly makes sense.

Can you sucessfully ping 192.168.0.1?

If not, I would look to a problem with the ethernet port on the laptop. If you go to device manager, do any of the network adapters have a red "x" or yellow "?"?

If you can, then the modem/router is not resolving DNS addresses for the laptop. I would uninstall the ethernet connection and reinstall them again.

11. dynasty10001

dynasty10001 Private E-2

I tried to ping 192.168.0.1 and all of the packets were sent and none were received.

In device manager the 1934 Net adapter has a red X by it but the ethernet and wireless both look fine.

12. TimW

Make the wireless desktop part of the same workgroup ....:) :)

13. dynasty10001

dynasty10001 Private E-2

Can you explain how? It's running windows 98SE and I only have expirience with Windows XP.

14. TimW

Should be under network propereties ...identification ...(control panel/network/identification) ...make sure you have file and print sharing as a protocol ...tcp/ip ....also. And client for ms networks.

15. dynasty10001

dynasty10001 Private E-2

Thanks i've been trying to figure that out for a while. I still can't get my laptop to work on the wireless network. Does the ethernet port have anything to do with how the wireless network connects?

16. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I believe you should work with one interface on the laptop at a time. You don't have them both active at the same time do you?

17. dynasty10001

dynasty10001 Private E-2

No I don't have them both active at the same time. But does my ethernet connection working have anything to do with my wireless connection?

18. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Not really. There is a little more involved getting the wireless off the ground.
    Is the software that comes with the wireless card controlling the wireless device? Do the application "see" THE ssid? Did you set up the wireless router? What are the settings? Is security turned on?

19. dynasty10001

dynasty10001 Private E-2

The software that came with the wireless card can control the device but it isn't right now. Yes the appliction does see the SSID. Yes i set up the wireless router. The security is turned off. What speciffically do you need to know about the settings of the router?

20. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK.....load the softwae that came with the wireless card. Sometimes it will give you more information than windows. By the fact you can't ping 192.168.0.1 tells me you are not "talking" to your router at all.

Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

21. dynasty10001

dynasty10001 Private E-2

Yes I can ping 127.0.0.1 and I tried loading the wireless cards software with no luck.

22. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Does the wireless software give you any hint as to whats going on? I just don't understand if you can "see" the SSID why you can't connect. I assume that the radio is on correct? I am running out of ideas.

23. BobRyan

BobRyan Private E-2

I once had client where certain must-have applications were interefing with Windows Wireless Zero Configuration. I downloaded a free app called Airstop Wireless where I could enter the SSID and connect to the network. It was instead of Windows so I didn't have to change drivers or use specific software of the embedded wireless card. Don't know what OS's it supports. Try Google or download.com and look for airstop wifi. Good Luck - Bob

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds