slow speeds on one computer only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by msedlak, Nov 11, 2014.

1. msedlak

msedlak Private E-2

I am having an issue with low speeds on a desktop computer. We have comcast blast and all the other devices on the network get 100+mbps on speedtests but this desktop is lucky to get 8-12. Sometimes it is down to about 3 and I often lose internet connection.

I have tried many different things. First I have tried using my other devices directly next to my computer to see if the location was the issue but they all get the same speeds as they do elsewhere. I tried connecting to a different wireless network (I live in condos and used a neighbors with their permission) but it was still the same. I also have an xfinity hotspot in the area and I connected to that with the same results.

I updated my wireless cards drivers. When I go to my wireless network connection status the Speed it gives is 72mbps and the signal quality is full green bars.

I went and got a usb wireless adapter last night from walmart and while the speed went up slightly (and I mean to 15mbps) it was still the same issue.

I ran the malware removal tools from that section of the site and they did not locate anything.

I use windows 7 and the card is an 802.11n wireless card. I feel like it is a setting or some software causing the issue but I can't figure it out. I used to have fine connections in another condo and I can't think of anything new that I have added or done that would cause this issue. Please help.

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speedguide_net_tcp_optimizer.html

I put the above executable in its own folder (usually in program files) and run it, so as to have the backup in the same location. Also create a shortcut to the executable and drag it into the start menu. Do a little reading on the website to get a feel for how the program works, and using the optimized settings box makes things easier. I am guessing it is a registry setting. :confused I hope this will help. We use it on all of our PCs.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds