Atx Case recommedations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

So i am looking for a case that will accommodate a micro atx motherboard.

I don't like larger wider cases and prefer slim ones something like 4'' wide, 11.3'' tall, and about 15 inches long ( or something close to that). I would also welcome a case in a cube like form if someone can recommend one.

I was looking for something that had a usb 3.0 port ( at least one), some media card readers, and a slot for both a 3.5'' and 2.5 '' drives. Probably one with a dvd drive slot too but that is not too important for me.

My price range for a case would be $50 or less , i tried searching for something like this but the only result(s) i have seen is a case with poor airflow and a very poor positioning of a power supply.

I would love to get a psu and combo case, however it seems most cases that come in combos come with a very poor PSU. I have spare psu so i guess this won't be too much of a problem.

I also had another question kind of unrelated to my topic. I have an hp 6000 sff pc, and the power supply is only 240 watts for these. I wanted to add more hardware to it but i think id be pushing the limits of the psu. When i tried searching online i couldn't find a power supply for this case bigger than 240 watts ( i was looking for 400).

Anyone know where i can find a bigger psu that will fit on this unit of mine ( hp 6000 sff) ?

Recommendations greatly appreaciated

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Check out the
    Cooler Master Elite 110 Cube Style
    I have seen it close to USD$50.
    I highly recommend getting a good power supply. Cheap ones lead to instability.

Upgrading small form factor computers is hard. You will probably run into heat issues if you can find a larger PSU and upgrade any components. HP did a pretty good job of making the 6000 SFF as small as possible and that leaves little room for expansion. I would save up for a more expandable unit or just dump the case and have an open air "test bench" setup. Once component size is not an issue expandability becomes much easier.

3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The case you recommended has a nice design, although i will have to use a usb external dvd drive but i hardly have use for this usually anyways..
    i also wonder if the usb ports in the side will be a problem for my motherboard

What power supply would you recommend to go with this ( i do plan on adding a low mid range video card)?

Are you sure the cube casing will fit my motherboard(s)? I know it would probably fit my itx motherboard but what about the micro atx one?

I have 3 variants of ASRock Q1900M, one itx one the others micro atx.

Also is there any side effect to running a setup on a ''test bench'' build as a every other day use desktop other than the risk of spilling some liquid directly into the motherboard and or parts?

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

You will have to look up specific motherboards with that case, I have seen and liked them but don't have one.
    Test Bench setups have no protection so you need to be more careful around them. Physical damage is the most obvious, but things like walkies-talkies will trash them as well. I have had one running for three years in the Antec Skeleton
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skeleton-torture-rack,2411-2.html

5. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

i don't think that case will fit my matx motherboard.... all the builds i found with them are using a mini itx motherboard.

If it would fit would it matter if some of the standoff's don't align properly with the motherboard?

I hate big cases, and when i search for ''slim'' or '' mini'' cases the results are absurd. The cases that come up in the results are by no means ''slim'' or mini'' i wonder what they compare these sizes to .. a fridge?

For example i type ''slim'' atx case on newegg and i get this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...59&cm_re=mini_atx_case-_-11-133-259-_-Product

This thing looks like a normal sized tower to me, and certainly doesn't fit the word '' mini''...

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Shuttle cases are usually rectangle, or close to cubic in shape. There's also Aerocool, and Silverstone, or Corsair Carbide.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

8. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds