Is my USB Memory Stick BRICKED /

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bicky1, Nov 16, 2014.

1. bicky1

bicky1 Private E-2

This issue, although not important has become a challenge for me to resolve.

My computer is Dual Boot with Vista and Ubuntu.
    I have a USB memory stick which is identified and seen by both systems, the contents of the drive open up, however I cannot write or delete any files off the stick. Properties show that the disk is working normally, and also that it is full, which it is not.
    I have tried every way to reformat, but nothing changes.
    In Windows Disk Mgt,SD Format, HP Usb Disk and more, in Ubuntu I have tried GParted, Disk util and more.
    Is my stick bricked ?? or is there a solution ??

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If it were bricked, it would not be seen by two different operating systems.

What is the brand and model (if you can tell) for the stick? If you don't know the model, describe it or find a picture online.

What is the capacity printed on the stick?

3. bicky1

bicky1 Private E-2

Hi Thanks for this - Model is " Integral Courier USB 2.0 Flash Disk "
    Hope this helps.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

As plodr asked, what's the capacity (2 GB, 4 GB)?

5. bicky1

bicky1 Private E-2

Hi - by definition it is 2GB - to be precise disk Mgt states 1.95 GB - hope this helps.

6. plodr

7. bicky1

bicky1 Private E-2

Hi - Yes to both - this is my drive, and yes I formatted with the HP tool.
    This showed the drive as formatted - FAT32 - but the old data and problem still remains. Finally a message flashes up Device Media Write Protected.

8. plodr

Perhaps it has something to do with the encryption.
    1. I have owned about 2 1/2 dozen USB sticks and none of them have the encryption feature.
    2. I have never had the HP format tool fail on me. It has always given me back full use of my stick.

Perhaps you need to contact the company. I'm not sure what you need to do to remove the encryption since I've never dealt with anything like that.

Go here and scroll down to step 6
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-fix-write-protection-errors-on-a-usb-stick/
    see if that eliminates the write protect error then try and format again.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas, sorry.

9. bicky1

bicky1 Private E-2

Hi Guys - thank's for your patience on this one - I have given up.
    I can't even get AVG to scan the device it just goes to 12% and freezes.
    With this in mind - can't be fussed with the registry bit !.
    I might have a detailed look into a Linux solution - but it is a big maybe.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds