mmc.exe error using defrag, W2K

Discussion in 'Software' started by farmerj, Dec 5, 2003.

1. farmerj

farmerj Private E-2

Why me? I have been getting a error: "mmc.exe has an generated errors and will be shut down......."
    I get this error when I exit the degrag program. I always analyze before defraging, and most of the time am told that degraging is not necessary. I then view the report, close out the report, and then when I close (X) the program I get the above error. I just preformed a defrag WITHOUT incident and NO errors when closing the program after the defrag. It did not need it, just wanted to see if I would get errors.
    I have been checking around but can't find anything solid. SOOOO. ... Can someone point me in the proper direction?

The program error tells me that the error is in the "log"
    Where is this log and how do I view it?

Thanks in advance,
    J
    W2k pro sp3 / amd 2100+ 512ddr

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

have you considered upgrading to SP4?

3. farmerj

farmerj Private E-2

Yes, but

I am hesitant. Once bitten twice shy, I have read a lot of problems with sp4. Think I will just sit back a while and see..........
    J

4. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

No problems with SP4 here...
    Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Check System and Application logs.

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I've installed sp4 on atleast 20 pcs with out any problems. Just make an image of your drive and give it a whirl..

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Update to sp4 I running two dual boot PC both have win 2000 pro running all critical updates installed including sp4
    I would not even go on line without installing sp4 first .
    I have sp4 on cd .

Install SP4 if you still get errors reinstall your OS or do repair option then youll have to reload SP4 ( a repair install will save most of your programs but not your updates)

NO PROBLEMS HERE, NO ERRORS

I wish I could say that about my WIN XP PRO with all 50 or so critical updatesinstalled
    I prefer win 2000 pro sp4 & all other critical updates

I also run program Diskeeper 6 for defrag

7. farmerj

farmerj Private E-2

Ok geeks and geeketts

sp4 is now installed. Nice call !! I have no new errors and w2k seems to be faster. I still have the mmc.exe error though. I just can't find much on it. Plenty of people having the same problem but, no fixes.
    Anymore ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    J.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

does your event viewer say anything special?

9. farmerj

farmerj Private E-2

No, I just ran defrag program at 7:42. , Clicked on analyzer, it informed me that my drive did not need defraged, I clicked on view log, then closed out the log, then closed out defrag, then up came the error.
    Went to event viewer and the most up to date "event" was 7:13.

Thanks,
    J

10. seratr

seratr Private E-2

I am french, my english is not the best

I have the same problem as you with defragmenting the disk

I think you have the same WINDOWS configuration as I

I tryed to release RAM with RAMBOOSTER before leaving DEFRAG ,
    in this case i don't receive the error message about MMC.EXE

Have you a ATHLON PROZESSOR ?
    I have an analog problem with any other application.

MICROSOFT doesn't know why.
    DEFRAG must have a problem with liberating used RAM or used MEMORY

Bye
    SERATR

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds